Black Horn Powder - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 PM

frontiergander, are you a certified gunsmith? Are you Qualified to mechanically adjust or modify weapons or have you been trained by Connecticut Valley Arms to teach others how to modify or mechanically adjust/modify their weapons?

Personally I think your willingness and desire to help others is outstanding but I think you're putting yourself in areas where you shouldnt be putting yourself.

It's one thing to explain cleaning procedures on muzzleloaders or offer advice/tips on how a shooter might be able to develop better accuracy by using different bullets or trying different gun powders but I think there should be a limit as to the amount of information you offer people, SOME information is helpful to the shooter, TOO MUCH information could be harmful to the shooter.
I don't think anyone here is out of line with you or attacking you over how you boast about the ways you tamper with your weapons,
I think you're missing the whole point everyone is trying to pass along to you, it's okay to be helpful but you have to remember that some of the advice you give about altering/upgrading/tinkering/tampering/modifying or whatever else you want to call it could be procedures that cuse someone to get hurt and as far as I'm concerned you're more than welcome to do as you please with any weapon you own but for GOD'S sake don't allow your desire to help others be the advice that could lead to someone elses misfortune.

Just because you're mechanically inclined and capable of upgrading you shouldn't assume everyone else is capable as well.

Do you see the point we're all trying to make here and don't you understand why we're concerned? Dude it's your safety as well as others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

sure i see where you're coming from, and thats why i go directly to the Manf. first and ask questions and then play around.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM

which is fine but doesnt give you the right to pass along the same info. if someone needs answers like that, send them to the same places you got your ok's from. that way if something happens you're free and clear of the outcomes.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

Adjusting a firing pin bushing wont cause anyone any harm. So yes, i will pass that kind of info along.

Testing powders, primers and bullets is another thing that gets passed along. Others think primers dont make a difference, i show the difference they make.

I dont have to explain anything to be honest, if you or anyone have questions, Ask. I get PM's here and on other forums asking for advice and help and i do my best to help them out.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 AM
B&C 120 Class

FG you need to grow up and stop being so pig headed about things!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:52 AM

Western Powder rep, Don Lewis, who I spoke to, was fully aware of the mishap that FG had. His, personal opinion was he didn't want the general public modifying/altering/ tinkerinr around with ML firearms. He thought is was a bad idea. He also stated that it might be a good idea for them to change their web site to include a statement that BH powder is for in-line ml firearms only. This shows they are not comfortable with general public doing what FG does. I think the subject has become something the owner/moderators of this site need to discuss and make a decision, regarding appropriate information to members that is passed along here.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:01 PM

I agree with you HM, and I agree with Don Lewis, of course it's a bad idea. "any" form of modifying/altering or tinkering on any mechanical apparatus becomes susceptible to failure.
when that tampering involves firearms, it puts peoples lives at risk.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM

BB, I'm thinking safety all the way and then secondly, what happens to warranty issues involving misuse/experiments with the firearm. FG, what you do is purely your business 100%, what we consider unsafe practices or indications of unsafe practices becomes our business to deal with here, especially when we believe members could be harmed in any way. I think we've done our level best to convey our honest concerns with some of the alterations you've posted, which could lead to others following in your path. I think we'd all be much better off if future posts were simply range results, loads, bullets, rifles, ect. This, I believe, benefits all without too much liability concerns.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

boy you guys would FLIP if you saw the homemade breech plugs made out of grade 8 bolts another person makes. LOL
Old 03-11-2011, 03:42 PM

You're probably correct. I would be steady on the delete button.