Changed up my shooting today - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

Default Changed up my shooting today

Left the lead sled out home and slung the tack driver bag rest over my shoulder and went out to do some shooting laying down. I didnt shoot my normal powder but instead used american pioneer 2f ( 90 grains) 300gr powerbelt platinum and winchester w209 primers. First shot on a clean bore is always off so thats basically just the fouler shot that the company recommends that you do.

Shots 2 and 3 were touching and shot 4 for some reason " most likely me' dropped down a couple inches. Still well within the kill zone. Shot 5 just a bit above shots 2 and 3. Pretty consistent considering i didnt allow any cool down time and the fact that i had to push through a crud ring the W209 primers leave behind. I took a total of 8 shots if you count the fouling shot. They grouped pretty decent but i think on my regular rest they'd have looked a lot better.

Time to wash up! Ground was still damp from the snow melting but it was worth it. I need to start getting back into that form of shooting and stop relying on the sled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 05:10 PM
B&C 100 Class

How do you get around that first shot flyer when you're a hunter?

Every shot is the first shot for me. Unless we're talking about BH 209. I won't leave the barrel fouled.

I need a bullet that shoots the first shot as well as the second shot.

Your turn.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Banned

A squib shot, Mainly you can foul the barrel with 3 or so primers or just dump some powder down the bore and set it off with a primer. American pioneer clearly states this in their FAQ area. Its kind of like how some rifles wont shoot accurate unless the shooter swabs the bore free of fouling between each shot.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

I know, but I don't want to do either of those things early in the morning when i'm trying to be quiet.

It's my attraction to BH 209. I don't mind leaving it fouled from the previous day.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

i always hunt with a dirty center fire rifle. after sighting in, i will clean and fire one fouling shot before the opening of the season. never thought about it with a ml due to the corrosive nature of black powder.

i use to shoot with a vise to sight in but noticed a huge difference from off of bags. so thats the way i roll now. always from sand bags.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

its not off by much. i'll post the target later.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Banned

Alright heres the target with the first 5 shots. I did take a total of 8, but due to my back board having a 1 foot diameter hole, it looks messy. The other 3 shots however did group with shots 2 - 3 - 5. I must have flinched or jerked the trigger on shot 4.