Blackhorn209 in my Sidelock - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

most likely what happened was when the adapter split open, all the heat went and scorched the bluing.

This is supposed to work guys, however i got unlucky with the set up and it didnt hold up. toby bridges uses them on his sidelocks but i certainly am going to run this by him for some info.

This should NOT have looked like this at all.

No tampering or tinkering, its an upgrade to use 209 primers built by professionals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 PM

didn't end up like professionals. That adapter could not have underwent extensive testing prior to marketing it. Maybe there's a law suit in the making and all profits go to DHC! What a novel idea.we could build an actual headquarters somewhere along the Mason-Dixon line with club house and cabins for overnight stays, I make one of the worlds best Lake Erie perch batter mixes ever known to mankindWhat I saying is its time we schedule a country get to,gether, Would be nice have some old time ml shooting offhand of ourse, matches and see who the real expert markman is!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Banned

well ben hubbard will be giving me either a call or an email in the next couple days. The company i bought it off of forwarded ben my email and they are sending me a refund and ben will explain some stuff about the CNC machine on the last batch that were made.

The last time i spoke with Ben he seemed like a great guy so i have confidence that he'll have a good reason to what happened.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
well ben hubbard will be giving me either a call or an email in the next couple days. The company i bought it off of forwarded ben my email and they are sending me a refund and ben will explain some stuff about the CNC machine on the last batch that were made.

The last time i spoke with Ben he seemed like a great guy so i have confidence that he'll have a good reason to what happened.
"LAST TIME",,, you should consider yourself lucky this time that you're unharmed and able to listen to a reason but for the record there doesn't need to be a reason for any failure of a machine manufactured part that was later added to the weapons functionality,, keep in mind the weapon wasn't at fault BUT if you would have been harmed the weapon would have been put on trial because of your tinkering.
The BIG question is, Will this failure be enough for you to see the risks of tampering with your weapons? OR, are you going to continue tinkering and keep putting yourself in harms way?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 AM
B&C 120 Class

Well said Bruce, hope your not taking this to heart FG but some things in life are designed to be used a certain way. I am a machinist by trade and have seen people try to modify or use equipment beyond its scope of safe practice. The consequences on several of these resulted either in injury or a close call.This is the case with your sidelock! You should also step back and LISTEN to what some of the older more knowlegable members are saying instead of pushing your point. Be a little humble at times it will go far...
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

I did no TAMPERING with this sidelock, i bought an upgrade part for it and that part failed. Same thing when you take an older inline design that used #11 nipple and upgrade it to use 209 primers. Its a simple swap out designed to work for that rifle.

Response from ben hubbard, he explains why this one failed.

Sorry about your experience, Jonathan. As I explained to you, the first Mag Spark was not oversized (6mm is approximately .236”). The threads appeared to be off on the profile, probably the angle was slightly off, However, the replacement was defective in a much more serious way. The manufacturer decided to improve on my design and made several changes to my specifications. One of those changes was that he cut the M6X 1.0 thread too far toward the primer cup, resulting in a thinner than necessary wall. This caused the failure that you experienced, not inferior metal. I invented the Mag Spark system over 30 years ago and I have sold thousands of them worldwide, without a single failure of this type. Until two years ago, I made them myself, on my own equipment, then, due to my age and other factors, I decided to have them made by someone else. That is the first time that I had problems. That being said, it is my problem. The Buck must stop here. I am currently looking for a company to make the Mag Spark to my specifications. Meanwhile, Paul and I will decide what to do about the ones that we have on hand. Again, I am sorry for the problems that you have had and I will see that you get your money back. Ben Hubbard

Last edited by frontiergander; 03-07-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

#11 cap
Real black powder

Life is good.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Flint and real black powder!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

No interest in scraping rocks.

The majority of Hawkens were caplocks.