New to site - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default New to site

Along with being new to this site I am also new to using powder in place of pellets... I have yet to pour a load and don't really know how to go about it. I hope this does not seem like a stupid question because I like to do things right the first time, so any input would be appreciated.

I do have BH 209, shotgun primers, and .50 powerbelts. I did purchase a plastic measurer that I would pour the powder in to get my 100gr. of powder but is there anything else I need to properly pour the powder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM
B&C 180 Class

Hey there's no stupid questions on here, unless I'm the one asking. Sorry I can't help ya,, not a big ML hunter!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scentman View Post
Along with being new to this site I am also new to using powder in place of pellets... I have yet to pour a load and don't really know how to go about it. I hope this does not seem like a stupid question because I like to do things right the first time, so any input would be appreciated.

I do have BH 209, shotgun primers, and .50 powerbelts. I did purchase a plastic measurer that I would pour the powder in to get my 100gr. of powder but is there anything else I need to properly pour the powder?
It sounds like you're doing it ok.

Are you getting good ignition with no delays or misfires? The BH 209 needs a hot 209 primer to be consistent. I like the CCI magnum primers.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Black Horn powder is my in-line ml favorite. You may want to experiment with several bullets/brands and see what shoots the best. You may find too that with a particular bullet that going down or slightly up on the charge will give you better bullet groups. Just learn to seat the bullet firmly on the powder charge each time without smashing it hard and remember when you get your final combination, make a mark on your ram rod to indicate proper seating position and that way you'll always know if you've errored in your loading before a potential really bad thing could happen. I like CCI prmers and TC & Barnes bullets. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 AM
B&C 100 Class

Ever since I bought the powder the weather here has been lousy for muzzleloaders, raining in WNY... my brother says just get out and shoot, but i don't think powder and rain are a good combo

As far as pellets are concerned the Acurra shoots them well other then the soot at the firing pin, and FG has steered me what to do in that respect... just waiting till the weather breaks and I will be at the range.
Thanks for the input gents
Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

blackhorn wont absorb moisture from the air, it has a special coating on it. Dump some into a little bowl of water, drain the water and then pour the powder onto a dry paper towel and let the powder dry, once its dry you can reuse it.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 AM
B&C 100 Class

Might as well learn to shoot in the rain if you're going to hunt.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

After the Sabres game I may just go out. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

Good luck and welcome scentman
daddus
ps just keep asking, we love to hear ourselves talk! lol
Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 PM

rain/snow and flintlocks don't mix well, actually they mix very well all the way to soup. black powder really absorbs moisture. Last two hunts in PA late season were really bad on the flintlocks as it was snowing really hard. We didn't prime the pans as were hunting and the main charges still got wet. I've tried everything known to man but sometimes it just a pain in the rump using the flintlocks. I still wonder how they fought wars using them?? Didn't fight in the rain I guess??