Dirty CVA Action? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

Default Dirty CVA Action?

Does your Accura, Optima, Accura V2 or Wolf, look like the picture on the left?

I can't even tell you how many times i have opened my CVA Accura, Optima,Wolf and found t
he face of the frame covered with black primer soot. Not only is it ugly to look at, it can be a down right pain in the neck getting it off. At times it will come off with a simple cleaner like windex, hoppes, butches bore shine. At times, even those will not remove it! So we use a tiny ball of 0000 steel wool and end up taking not only the Primer Soot off, but the Nickle plating as well.

Well after playing around and trying to figure out an easy way to take care of this issue i finally found it. And the best part, All it takes is a proper fitting screw driver and some patience.

Tools you will need:
  • Proper fitting screw driver
  • White Teflon tape
  • Feeler gauge with assorted thicknesses
First thing you will need to do is get your rifle up onto a rest if you have one available. I am using the Tipton Best Gun Vise which makes scoping, cleaning, modifying my rifles/Muzzleloaders a real charm. If you don't have something like this, you can use a card board box and cut out some slits for the rifles frame to fit into and hold it snug.

Once you have your rest all set up, go a head and remove the barrel from the stock and remount your frame to your vise.

Now that your rifle is snug in the vise, Go a head and get your screw driver set. When working on a muzzle loader or any gun in general, you NEED a good assortment of screw driver sizes.

"Left" Notice on your Factory CVA muzzle loader that the Firing pin bushing sits flush with the frame:

Visually inspect and find the Firing Pin
Bushing. This Bushing holds a TINY spring and of course the metal firing pin striker.

Use the proper fitting screw driver and Remove these parts and put them into a plastic ziplock bag to prevent you from losing them. Especially that spring!

Last edited by frontiergander; 03-01-2011 at 05:58 PM.