power belts vs sabot? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default power belts vs sabot?

I love to use my 45 Cal muzzleloader but I use a sabot which shoots amazingly well considering who's shooting it. I use the 200 grain Hornady with the plastic sabot. The problem I have is when they enter the deer they go all different directions and render the shot not as effective as I would like. The sabots only go to 200 grain but the powerbelts go to 300 grains in 45 cal. I have the choice of using my 50 or using the powerbelts in 45 cal. Maybe I just need to take some powerbelts to the range but before I do, I'm sure that others of you have wrestled with the sabot powerbelt thing. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. My redneck is not at this time leaning toward powerbelts but for a deer I would go the extra mile for the clean kill.
Thanks in advance,
daddus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Banned

when i shot a 45 i loved the 225gr powerbelt.

I'd suggest you buy a package of the 225 - 275 Copper series Aerotip and even a pack of the 300gr Powerbelt Platinums.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddus1 View Post
I love to use my 45 Cal muzzleloader but I use a sabot which shoots amazingly well considering who's shooting it. I use the 200 grain Hornady with the plastic sabot. The problem I have is when they enter the deer they go all different directions and render the shot not as effective as I would like. The sabots only go to 200 grain but the powerbelts go to 300 grains in 45 cal. I have the choice of using my 50 or using the powerbelts in 45 cal. Maybe I just need to take some powerbelts to the range but before I do, I'm sure that others of you have wrestled with the sabot powerbelt thing. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. My redneck is not at this time leaning toward powerbelts but for a deer I would go the extra mile for the clean kill.
Thanks in advance,
daddus
Why not try a sabot in your .50? Like a Barnes. Then you have the best of both worlds. The best bullet in a 45.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

I love my Powerbelts. I shoot a CVA .50 Wolf and use 295 grain powerbelts with 100 grains of pryodex pellets. I have gotten 4 deer in 3 years with it a and this last year both of the deer I shot dropped where they were standing. I have had people say that the Powerbelts are no good and don't go all the way through the animal, but I have had no problem with this. The other 2 deer I shot have not run more than 25 yards. As I said before, I love my Powerbelts and will never use anything else. If it's not broke don't fix it.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

I guess I'll have to break down and try some power belts.
Thanks guys,
daddus
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
B&C 100 Class

Well, the Powerbelt is a love-hate bullet. The ones who hate it are the ones who lost animals. The ones who love it haven't. (yet)

Not too many complain about losing an animal to a Barnes bullet.

Put the odds in your favor.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default .45

When I had the cva hunter in .45 all I used were powerbelts with 100 gr. pyrodex pellets... those deer dropped in a hurry when hit.

Last edited by scentman; 02-28-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM

As with all guns find the bullet that shoots/performs best for you. Trying to convince others that your combination is best for them too is like trying to convince me that Dodge builds a better truck than Chevy or Ford. In almost every case the gun will be way more accurate than the person behind it can show on paper, it's just a fact. Without a fancy shooting rest and mechanical trigger firing mechanism, most of us are simply decent shooters not expert marksmen.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
B&C 140 Class

Guess its time to try some powerbelts in spite of myself. Time for the redneck to become less red! HAHAH lol
Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 AM
B&C 100 Class

Keep in mind that punching paper is not trying a bullet. Nobody claims they're not accurate. You may even take a couple of animals and still think they work.

One day you'll lose an animal, and then you'll join the group of PB haters.