New to ML - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

Default New to ML

Hey guys. I was doing some reading on ML hunting and this forum came up in a google search. I have some decent experience with modern rifles but have never used a ML before. A couple friends of mine did some ML hunting in northern Michigan before Christmas and told me it was a bunch of fun. Per their stories, I'm looking at giving ML deer hunting a shot. What I'm asking of you guys is a beginners crash course to ML rifles and hunting. I know that effective range is significantly reduced and there is something like in-line ML rifles that I've read about but I havn't been able to glean any more information than that. If you guys could help me out by giving me a crash course in ML deer hunting and things such as good beginner rifles, powder, ammunition I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advance for any information!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

I am a beginner myself and looking into buiying a traditional muzzleloader rather than an inline. That way you can shoot round balls and conical bullets, whereas inlines would let you shoot only sabots and conicals. Conicals would have some flatter trajectory, but ...
a) are less fun to begin with
b) are more expensive to have good practicing than round balls

I would love to hear about "crash course" from the more experienced hunters too...
Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

After doing a little looking, I think I would buy a TC Omega which I understand to be an inline muzzleloader. Is this a good beginners weapon? From what I can tell from online reviews and such it looks good to me
Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 PM

You can not go wrong with a TC product.

They are very accurate. Easy to disassemble and clean. You should not have to do any work to it to get it shooting accurate etc.

An inline is a simler ML to operate than your old style front stuffers. Would make a great first ML.

I shoot a TC Triumph with 2 pryodex pellets and a 245 gr TC shockwave. I am sure there are better powders out there and bullets but this combo has always worked just fine for me. Accurate enough and heavy enough to drop any deer with decent shot placement.

When you think of ML's think of clean!!!!! Very important to clean these type of weapons after every outing at the range. A clean ML means alot less chance of misfire. I have never had a misfire out of my TC and the only reason I had a misfire out of a Knight ML I had was because I had fired a lot of rounds out of the barrel before cleaning. (the nipple clogged up)

When you purchase your ML ask someone that works there to give a crash course is taking it apart, loading it, etc. Much easier for someone to show you in person that type of stuff.

You will have to buy some powder, bullets, and primers of some sort. (depending upon what type you buy)
Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 PM

Any TC ML is a quality product period. I have a TC older Fire Hawk in-line and a TC Triumph in line. I'm not familiar with the Omega line, just do your homework. With that said, take a look at Tradition's top end ML, which is a Vortek I believe, and at least make comparison, if you go with the Omega you won't go wrong. To make things real easy, 50 gr pellet powder (2), 250 gr TC shock wave bullets with the super shock wave sabots, and 209 primers. This is a pretty good way to start off and may end up being your rifle's best shooting load?? I shoot Black Horn loose powder at 100 grs, CCI 209 shot gun primers. With a good scope, these new ML rifles will shoot out past 200 yds with practice. When loading with pellets you do not want to crush them by too much ram rod pressure. Just seat them snug, this takes some range shooting to develope the touch. Your buddies will help you in this area. Good luck on your purchase. Put a good ML scope on whatever you get.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

how do I distinguish between a ML scope and regular scope. I assume ML are more robust but how do I tell the difference
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 PM

They are designated by the maufacturer as shot gun/ML scopes. I would highly reccomend that you do not go cheap on a scope for a ML. I would rather see you go slightly less on the gun and more on the optics as most new ML rifles will shoot very accurate but cheap scopes will simply not last.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 AM
B&C 100 Class

Thumbs up New To MLs

I recommend a Traditions Buckstalker .50 for a beginner. It's light, accurate, and easy to clean and shoot. Loose powder gives some guys better accuracy but to start I'd go with 2 50 gr 777 pellets. The most accurate bullets in my MLs are Hornady's 250 gr. SST-ML High Speed/Low Drag sabots. It doesn't really matter IMO what scope you use. My Buckstalker has a $40 Tasco 3-9 on it. After I became more experienced I purchased a TC Omega Z5 and put a Traditons ML 3-9 scope on it. A Buckstalker new runs $170 at Cabela's and a new Omega Z5 runs aound $300. The Traditions scope kit is $70 and comes with rings and bases. Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Scrub Buck

I agree on spending more on a quality scope. My Kodiak sports a Zeiss 1.8X5, with 4" of constant eye relief. Got it on sale, otherwise couldn't afford it. The Nikon Omega, or a Bushnell DOA are excellent choices according to my friends that use them.