Deer Hunting Forums banner

Weather sheild or Stainless

16K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
I am going to buy a new muzzelloader and I was wanting to know which would be better a stainless steel barrel or the Weather Shield barrel? Also could someone tell me the pros and cons of both?

#5 ·
I have one of each and I will tell you the stainless does rust easier than the weathershield and is also considerably heavier. The weathershield is awesome I hunt in all weather and have yet to see even a spot of rust even when put away wet. Would go with the weathershield if I was you, save your money stainless is overrated.

#9 ·
my main concern would be the INSIDE of the bore where it actually matters. Its kind of like what our mothers used to say " it doesnt matter what the girl looks like on the outside, its the inside that matters" I never bought into that lie but for a gun, its true.
I realize this as I HAVE BOTH, the stainless rusts faster than steel trust me I live in the norteast and the weather is foul more than not during hunting season. Stainless is a waste of money as long as the bore and rifling is quality and maintained properly there is truly no need for stainless. Not trying to doubt anyones knowledge but time in the field has proven to me that steel is as good and easier to clean up if rusty than stainless. Personal preference i suppose but stainless is a waste unless you are dousing it in saltwater!

#10 ·
In the Cabela's catalog Thompson Center has a Dream Season Omega with a stainless steel barrel. The rest of the Tompson Center's have what they call camo weather shield or a black weather shield. I was thinking that a stainless barrel is less likely to rust or corrode inside the barrel. This will probally be my last muzzelloader I will buy and I don't want to say " I wish I would have bought something else"

#11 ·
Which one to buy

Thanks for all the reply's. I have one more question. This will be the last muzzelloader I will buy. I have two Knight .54 cal. Knight MK85 now. I wanted to buysomething more modern. I can spend up to $600. Which one would you recommend? I don't want to say later "I wish I would have bought something else". I know different people like different things, but if you give me your veiwpoints I will try to sort out what I like best. Thanks.

#12 ·
Comes down to the old Chevy, Ford, Dodge ect. I am most familiar with TC products, yes they do cost more but like I've said in the past, in firearms especially, you get what you pay for. Please don't buy into the hype that TC cost is all advertising, it's bull s.... They probably make the very best production ML on the market. Just go on line and look at resale TC products vs all the rest. My second pick would go to Traditions and one of their top of the line rifles. My TC fire hawk has a nickel/stainless barrel and it's over ten years old without a weather mark on it. I'm sure Traditions new coatings would serve you well also. Just spend a few extra dollars and pick a higher end model in whatever make ML you choose and put a good scope on it if legal in your area and you'll be very happy in the long run.

#13 ·
I agree with HM, whichever you choose I hope it's between a Traditions or a Thompson Center, one final note, Traditions Performance Firearms is producing the most advanced muzzleloader available today in their Traditions Vortek,
the Vortek is available in several different models, blued, full camo, partial camo, stainless, all cerakote treated finish, scoped and even an ultra light,
the list of standard features on the Vortek is phenominal don't hesitate to check them out.
As Always, whichever you choose Good Luck and Best wishes for a safe, happy & healthy 2011

#16 ·
this is a copy from another thread I posted when I received it...

I ordered my new Traditions Vortek muzzle loader on Dec.8th and received it on Dec.10th...

That is some speedy service right there!!!!
Another example of why Traditions products and services are top notch in my book.!

not the greatest photo but I'll post better ones when I get it out in the field to do some shooting...

#18 · (Edited)
I wanted to be able to post up some pics when I took it to the range but the weather hasn't been cooperating at all but first I removed the scope rings and upgraded to see thru scope mounts, I like having the option of open sights for close range shots.
So far I've only put 6 rounds through it, nothing spectaular surrounding my first 6 rounds as they were only to help get the scope sighted in however, my last 2 shots were only about 1/8 inch apart @ 50 yards my next trip i'll move out to 100 yards and fine tune it there...

But everything went very well, I didn't have to do any swabbing between shots, I was shooting 2=50grain Triple 777 pellets with 250Gr Shockwaves but now I have some 250Grain Traditions Smackdown SST's for my next trip to the range. I'll keep you's posted

PS The trigger is amazing and the balance on the Vortek is something every shooter needs to feel.

#24 ·
Actually the Traditions Vortek open sights are metal fiber optic sights , the one used on the Vortek are called "Traditions Lightning Fire" "FireSights" are made by Williams.

And Yes the DeerSskull engraving is on the Vista Stealth Vortek also..

#20 ·
Actually the Traditions Vortek open sights are metal fiber optic sights , the one used on the Vortek are called "Traditions Lightning Fire" "FireSights" are made by Williams.

And Yes the DeerSskull engraving is on the Vista Stealth Vortek also..

#22 ·
my personal opinion is that it's a great scope, probably one of the best I've seen in the inexpensive scope range, If I had to compare it I'd say it compares to the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 or the Buckmasters 3-9 x 40

Now keep in mind I'm a Vermont hunter and in the areas I hunt the average Scope range at my hunting spots could be anywhere from 0 out to about 200 yards It would be very rare for me to take shots any further but the Traditions scope is a one piece tube, mutlicoated lenses are crisp and clear even under low light, fogproof, waterproof & shockproof,,, adjustments are 1/4" inch MOA windage and elevation.
Now if you're looking for a scope for extended ranges I'd say invest more money and go with something else but if long range shots are rare for you I don't think this scope would let anyone down...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.