Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   MuzzleLoader Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/)
-   -   Weather sheild or Stainless (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/7092-weather-sheild-stainless.html)

Indiana One Shot 12-30-2010 11:22 AM

Weather sheild or Stainless

I am going to buy a new muzzelloader and I was wanting to know which would be better a stainless steel barrel or the Weather Shield barrel? Also could someone tell me the pros and cons of both?

daddus1 12-30-2010 01:00 PM

Dear Indiana One Shot,
Please clue me in as to what a weather shield barrel is?
daddus

frontiergander 12-30-2010 02:59 PM

go with stainless steel and then buy a $25 kit of Bore Coat/ Gun Shield.

Hunting Man 12-30-2010 04:31 PM

I don't think anyone makes a true ss barrell, most are nickel/stainless blend. Doesn't Traditions offer a weathershield barrel coating? probably not much difference in overall protection.

deerless 12-30-2010 05:48 PM

I have one of each and I will tell you the stainless does rust easier than the weathershield and is also considerably heavier. The weathershield is awesome I hunt in all weather and have yet to see even a spot of rust even when put away wet. Would go with the weathershield if I was you, save your money stainless is overrated.

frontiergander 12-30-2010 05:53 PM

my main concern would be the INSIDE of the bore where it actually matters. Its kind of like what our mothers used to say " it doesnt matter what the girl looks like on the outside, its the inside that matters" I never bought into that lie but for a gun, its true.

BruceBruce1959 12-30-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrontierGander (Post 51381)
go with stainless steel and then buy a $25 kit of Bore Coat/ Gun Shield.

This is frontierganders way of saying the Premium CeraKote finsih available on some of Traditions muzzleloaders is far better than any other coated barrel on the market today...

Click the links to learn more.....

frontiergander 12-30-2010 06:31 PM

Ultra Bore Coat, Cerakote Gun Coating and Services from Ultra Coatings, Inc. is the stuff i am talking about. Goes on clear

deerless 12-30-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrontierGander (Post 51384)
my main concern would be the INSIDE of the bore where it actually matters. Its kind of like what our mothers used to say " it doesnt matter what the girl looks like on the outside, its the inside that matters" I never bought into that lie but for a gun, its true.

I realize this as I HAVE BOTH, the stainless rusts faster than steel trust me I live in the norteast and the weather is foul more than not during hunting season. Stainless is a waste of money as long as the bore and rifling is quality and maintained properly there is truly no need for stainless. Not trying to doubt anyones knowledge but time in the field has proven to me that steel is as good and easier to clean up if rusty than stainless. Personal preference i suppose but stainless is a waste unless you are dousing it in saltwater!

Indiana One Shot 12-30-2010 08:53 PM

In the Cabela's catalog Thompson Center has a Dream Season Omega with a stainless steel barrel. The rest of the Tompson Center's have what they call camo weather shield or a black weather shield. I was thinking that a stainless barrel is less likely to rust or corrode inside the barrel. This will probally be my last muzzelloader I will buy and I don't want to say " I wish I would have bought something else"