First trip to the range with BH209 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Scrub Buck

Default First trip to the range with BH209

Yesterday was my first trip to the range with BH209 and Winchester W209 primers. Last year I was shooting 2 777 pellets and 250 grain Shockwave Superglide. I made up some 100 grain loads of BH209 and the shoots weren’t hitting where they were last year. Adjusted the scope and got it closer to dead center. BTW I was shooting at 50 yards. I could not get the Shockwave’s to hit consistently at all. I had some 245 grain Powerbelt areo tips left so I tried those and the first shoot was dead center bullseye. So I shot another one and it was about an inch to the right. Shot another and it was about an inch low from the bullseye. Now I have read enough posts to understand that there is a difference between a range bullet and how one performs in the field so my question is stick with the Shockwaves or the Powerbelts? Also for the first time since having my Triumph I did not need to swab after each shot what a windex patch! The Shockwaves weren’t easy to load but I was able to get them to the same spot on the rod, but the Powerbelts were so easy I could almost have my 5 year old load them. Ohio ML season is still about a month away so I have some time to figure out what to use but wanted to get started now testing.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 03:53 PM

the reason the powerbelts load easier is because they are under bore size which is why I think a lot of shooters have problems with them.
I tried powerbelts once, I spent the better part of a morning trying to figure out why I couldn't group with them.
That same afternoon I went back with shockwaves and didn't have any problems grouping the Shockwaves at all,,,
so I'm certain it were the powerbelts that were causing all the problems that day.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
the reason the powerbelts load easier is because they are under bore size which is why I think a lot of shooters have problems with them.
I tried powerbelts once, I spent the better part of a morning trying to figure out why I couldn't group with them.
That same afternoon I went back with shockwaves and didn't have any problems grouping the Shockwaves at all,,,
so I'm certain it were the powerbelts that were causing all the problems that day.
That is exactly what I ran into last year and switched to the Shockwaves. This year same gun just changed to BH209 instead of 777 pellets and the powerbelts performed better. It was suggested that I try the Shockwaves again with 80 grains of BH209 and see what that does so hopefully it will get better.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

some rifles just dont shoot worth a hoot with a certain bullet weight. My cva mountain stalker HATES the 245gr powerbelts. Put a 295gr powerbelt down and shes shooting 1 1/2" groups @ 100.

TC's doesnt recommend conicals in their rifles, they claim the twist it to fast but in truth, they can not get their QLA's drill out straight half the time.

Most people have a gun smith hack off the QLA and then they have success shooting conicals.

Stick with sabots in your case.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:11 PM

fast twist barrel 1-28" shoot sabots, 1-35 can shoot both. My TC fire hawk will shoot conicals and sabots well. I'd stick with the shock waves. You might try Barnes in 250 gr also, I think you'd be pleased with both.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

White rifle has a 1:24 twist and shoots conical. Some say its the best conical shooter ever made.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:07 PM
B&C 140 Class

Hey phillymac23,
Are the Winchester primers that you used standard power primers? Blackhorn doesn't like the reduced primers used for 777? I don't know so I'm just asking.
daddus1
Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddus1 View Post
Hey phillymac23,
Are the Winchester primers that you used standard power primers? Blackhorn doesn't like the reduced primers used for 777? I don't know so I'm just asking.
daddus1
I was using the shotgun W209 primers.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM
B&C 140 Class

Like everyone is saying, each gun seems to like its own diet so we have to figure out what to feed it. Hey it's fun trying. Good luck!
daddus