Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   MuzzleLoader Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/)
-   -   Question about misfires (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/7006-question-about-misfires.html)

three under 12-12-2010 09:27 AM

Question about misfires

I experienced some misfires the other day where the only sound I heard was the "whoosh" of my bullet being pushed half way up the barrel.

I expected to at least hear the "pop" of the 209 primer. Was the "pop" silenced by the load not exiting the barrel?

deerless 12-12-2010 11:01 AM

Not sure what you have going on but I would think if the bullet moved the primer went off. Is your powder old or damp? Was the round seated properly? I also always pop a couple primers and swab the barrel before loading to be sure there is no moisture in the barrel before loading. Good luck and be careful misfires can be very dangerous.

three under 12-12-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerless (Post 50637)
Not sure what you have going on but I would think if the bullet moved the primer went off. Is your powder old or damp? Was the round seated properly? I also always pop a couple primers and swab the barrel before loading to be sure there is no moisture in the barrel before loading. Good luck and be careful misfires can be very dangerous.

The bullet was seated properly; I have a mark on my ram rod that I use to gauge this. I shot two primers before loading but I did forget to swab the barrel. The first shot did go off so I assume that would cancel out any misfires due to oil or moisture? The powder sub is a year old and has been stored inside the house and dry.

I contacted the powder sub. manufacturer and was told my flash hole may need cleaning with a drill bit. I had a spare breech plug that was brand new, so I screwed it in and the first shot fired. Second shot misfired. I opened a new container of the same powder sub. and have shot seven in a row without a misfire. Maybe the original container is bad but I am told shelf life should not be an issue.

The same combination of gun, powder, bullet, and primer worked flawlessly last year for twenty plus shots.

Any thoughts?

BruceBruce1959 12-12-2010 12:13 PM

"I opened a new container of the same powder sub. and have shot seven in a row without a misfire. Maybe the original container is bad but I am told shelf life should not be an issue."

Shelf life isn't usually a major concern but sometimes even the slightest humidity can cause problems and to me that's what it sounds like you may be having a problem with the powder you used may have become contaminated by moisture from humidity..

three under 12-12-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 (Post 50644)
"I opened a new container of the same powder sub. and have shot seven in a row without a misfire. Maybe the original container is bad but I am told shelf life should not be an issue."

Shelf life isn't usually a major concern but sometimes even the slightest humidity can cause problems and to me that's what it sounds like you may be having a problem with the powder you used may have become contaminated by moisture from humidity..

The container was sitting on the shooting bench for 15 minutes between the first two shots with the cap off. There were lite flurries and a temp of 12 degrees F. Could it have become contaminated that fast?

Also, the first half dozen primers may have been re-stocked into the pack after spending some time in my pockets last hunting season. Could they have been an issue? Or does the fact the bullet was getting pushed half way down the barrel cancel out any issue with the primers?

BruceBruce1959 12-12-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by three under (Post 50640)
The bullet was seated properly; I have a mark on my ram rod that I use to gauge this. I shot two primers before loading but I did forget to swab the barrel. The first shot did go off so I assume that would cancel out any misfires due to oil or moisture? The powder sub is a year old and has been stored inside the house and dry.

I contacted the powder sub. manufacturer and was told my flash hole may need cleaning with a drill bit. I had a spare breech plug that was brand new, so I screwed it in and the first shot fired. Second shot misfired. I opened a new container of the same powder sub. and have shot seven in a row without a misfire. Maybe the original container is bad but I am told shelf life should not be an issue.

The same combination of gun, powder, bullet, and primer worked flawlessly last year for twenty plus shots.

Any thoughts?

You seem to be addressing your own concerns, all if which may be the root of the problem. if the powder was a year old then can't we asume it went bad for some odd reason thus causing the problem? If contaminated powder isn't the problem then I don't know what else to blame it on.

Hunting Man 12-12-2010 02:54 PM

I agree when all else is eliminated, then the flash channel may be getting debris from the primer and giving varied fire. Not too many things can be the problem so it's pretty basic to step by step locate the problem. I would change out to 209 shot gun primers and try those. I have not had a failure in the limited shooting with 209 primers. However, with the flintlocks it runs about 75%.

frontiergander 12-12-2010 07:46 PM

what gun, powder and primer brand?

three under 12-12-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 (Post 50647)
You seem to be addressing your own concerns, all if which may be the root of the problem. if the powder was a year old then can't we asume it went bad for some odd reason thus causing the problem? If contaminated powder isn't the problem then I don't know what else to blame it on.

Your rite, it could have gone bad for some odd reason. I called bh 209 customer service and was told it was unlikely. But Im with you, I do not trust that original can and it stinks because I drove 2 hours to get it and paid $36. for one jug.

three under 12-12-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrontierGander (Post 50658)
what gun, powder and primer brand?

CVA Wolf [original]-bh 209-Winchester shot shell primers-powerbelt 295 hollow point.