Bore butter? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM

I'm glad now that I cleaned up my reply a bit last night, not much sleep these days. I just get my dandruff when TC gets an unfair bad rap when my experiences have been just the opposite. Improper maintenance will destroy most all rifles. I think the post really only made any sense if someone never cleaned a ML for several seasons and used any heavy bore product and simply tried to shoot it. I use Rem oil as a light final swab down the barrel of every rifle I own and have 0 problems with any issues. TC wonder lube has been a great product for the patches in the flintlock but it smells like ben-gay. Bore butter I'm sure works if used as instructed just like any other product. Use what works for you and as BB said hog-wash to everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter177 View Post
Bore Butter or a like product was never intended to be used to aid loading in modern in-line ML guns. The idea is to coat the bore as the last step in the cleaning process AFTER shooting when the gun will be stored. This coats the barrel to prevent corrosion and rust. Before shooting you must swab with 1 or 2 wet patches and 1 or 2 dry patches to remove the Bore Butter. Then fire a primer to remove any moisture or lube still in the barrel. In the days of patches and round balls it was needed to aid in loading but that was mainly for percussion and flintlock guns.
Hunter177 your a friggin genius.. Nice post above..

I have thought for awhile now that Frontier Gander is associated with power belts and whatever that brand muzzleloader he shoots as well. As much as he sings the praises of the brands he likes is kinda of a tell all. I have my favorite brands but thats not all I post about. Every post you have is singing the praises of your ML or your mighty powerbelts. (which on the powerbelts I have shot them at targets and taken deer with them but was not happy at all with their performance.) If your in love with them thats fine but SHEESH we have heard that from you already.

No need to argue back with me or tell me why powerbelts are great. I've stated my piece and am done.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:28 AM

HM I wonder what you said before you cleaned up your post! Maybe I should clean up mine. Been up since 5 pm yesterday. Worked a 12.5 hr shift. Got a BOGUS $175 ticket for improper passing from a stupid cop. Driving 20 mph in a 45, passing someone doing 15.

Ignore this post and get back on topic everyone else!

Im tired!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM

I feel your pain, just completed a 8 day 12 hr run. Took vacation till Friday night. Get some sleep we'll handle things here
Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 AM

The brand of the ML's just hit me I think. CVA I believe.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 AM

the funny part of his post is, CVA markets more barrel additives than any other 2 manufacturers combined.. I think they have some type of bore foaming spray cleaner and a bore Gel and pre-lubricated shooting patches, pre saturated rust preventing patches and Lord knows what other barrel clogging products cva has..
SO,, if anyone should be defending the use of those type of products it should be the CVA lovers, they're ones that overload their barrels with it.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 12-13-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 AM

you're correct on that one BF, FG is really a CVA guy. We each have our favorites but even I have a CVA, Knight, Traditions, people know it's usually comes down to price and preference. I think most here know my TC posts are a bit tonge in cheek but sometimes I too get riled when I read something that is way out there. When I go overboard, hopefully, someone will call me out too. Heck even Mr. Traditions BB came to the rescue, now that's exciting, monumental, earth shattering, 8th wonder of the world, history in the making, outstanding, well you get the point! BB no pun intended, well maybe just a tiny little bit. How's that new Traditions ML? Looks pretty nice! See I'm really a nice guy I feel so much better now, got some sleep last night, can you tell?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 AM

LOL I haven't been able to shoot the new Vortek yet and it may be awhile before i got to shoot it, especially now with all this rain and snow coming in..

As far as TC front stuffers I've always said they were great weapons, after all, they are the only ones that can compare to Traditions.
So I cant be expected to sit idly by and just watch TC get slammed by whoever wrote the garbage that frontiergander posted and garbage is all that the whole post adds up to....

Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Remember the Infamous "Ronn's Hunterbolt" thread.. Where he was singing about how it was a keeper..

He listed it for sell very shortly after he quit posting about it here. CVA Hunterbolt Package deal - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The guy is all over the web. Has his own site about cva stuff and powerbelt stuff. He has to be an employee of some kind to put all that work into it.

I also searched the web to find his claim of his original post. "that he found this on another forum."

The only ones Im finding are the same as this one.. Claiming he found it on another forum..
Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 PM

I'm sure he will send Ronn a little something. BF, were you a private eye somewhere in your past? See that CVA hat! There was a distinct fish smell to the post. In my day I could shoot that good without a fancy dancy rifle rest with a TC you don't even have to open your eyes the bullets just know where to go.