Deer Hunting Forums banner

Need some opinions

10K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
I am looking to purchase a muzzleloader. I used to shoot my father-in-law's T/C .54 cal renegade but he has decided to start hunting again after about 15 yrs. I'm not a die hard muzzleloader user and really can't afford to drop alot of cash into one. Cabela's has a Traditions Timber Ridge .50 cal. with a 4x32 pre-mounted scope. Is this a decent rifle? My shooting range due to heavy brush/cover is usually 60yds and in, but time to time it maybe 100-125 yds. I don't want to buy something that is not a dependable shooter just because it's what I can afford, I would rather hold out a year, if need be, to purchase something like an Omega.

Tell me what you guys think..........

#3 ·
I'd stay away from that timber ridge muzzeloader. You're going to want a break open rifle so you can easily remove the breach plug for cleaning, and so you can easily put a primer in. My friend just got a Thompson Center Impact muzzeloader and he loves it. Great fit and finish, nice features, and its 100% made in the USA.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Rifles|/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104533380/Thompson47Center-Impact-50-caliber-Rifle-150-Blued-Barrel47Black-Stock/706448.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-black-powder-rifles%2F_%2FN-1100200%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104533380

#4 · (Edited)
The Timber Ridge is probably Traditions most basic muzzleloader while it may work well for you I'd much rather see you choose a muzleloader with more Updated features for just a little more money.
I would suggest the Traditions Buckstalker which has many more updated features for just a little more money, the Buckstalker is also available at Cabelas for only 169.99The .50 caliber Magnum Buckstalker has the following features

LT-1 Alloy Frame
• PAS System = projectile alignment system
• Dual Safety System
• Nickel Guard Coating
• Tru-Glo® Fiber Optic Sights
• Fast action release button
• 1:28" twist rifling
• Extended ambidextrous hammer spur
• Monte Carlo style stock
• Drilled and tapped for a scope
• Sling swivel studs
• 209 shotgun ignition
• Solid aluminum ramrod
• Lightweight and maneuverable
• Accurate up to 200 yards

AND if you look at Cabelas reviews there are 9 of them, they all have 5 out of 5 star ratings.
You won't find another Entry level muzzleloader with that many features,,, Especially at that price!

Good Luck to you...

#6 ·
LOL I don't mind hearing that at all but when Ugly is loaded with all those features and performs as well as it does at such a reasonable price,,, who really cares about looks? :wink:

#7 ·
Hey Guys, Thanks for the input. This is the kind of info. I'm looking for. It would be kinda hard to tell the mrs. that I want to buy ANOTHER muzzleloader next year because the one I bought this year wasn't what I wanted, but I didn't know it at the time. Thanks again

#10 ·
I will chime in and say I prefer any TC rifles over any other product, but I agree that a break action is much easier to clean so look in your price bracket for something along this line. I'm not a big Traditions or CVA person. Look on line great buys can be had on auction sites. I gave under 300.00 for my TC Triumph/shipping, a really great rifle for the money. I would put TC products against any thing out there, period.

#13 ·
Traditions Buckstalker

I love my Buckstalker. It's light, accurate, and easy to shoot and clean. It's got a no-name 3-9X40 scope and will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. I paid $150 for the gun on sale and had a spare scope at home. I think it's perfect for someone new to the sport.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.