sighting in - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 11-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Scrub Buck

Default sighting in

Just got a slightly used Knight muzzleloader. Took it to the range to sight it in and started off at 25 yards. shot five rounds and all were 1/2" low at the bullseye. At 50 yards shot ten rounds and left a nice grouping but it was 6" low and scope adjustment would not correct. Shooting 100 grains of pyrodex rs with 250gr Tc's with the yellow sabots. Started with 90 grains and moved to 100 to see if it changed the pattern. Still shot low. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 PM

if you're out of scope adjustment then there might be a mounting issue, loose screws or a scope problem internally. These are tough to tell across the internet. My Knight shoots the TC 250's pretty well so I don't think that's a problem. My best guess, you have a scope issue and will need repaired or replaced, probably just what you didn't want to hear. Shims may help but you will need someone experienced to help you on this one. good luck
Old 11-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Scrub Buck

donnie your scope is junk get your wallet out and buy a new one , and there is no need for 10 shot groups unless your sighting in a machinegun ,good luck
Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 AM
B&C 100 Class

After three or four shots, I run a clean patch down the barrel to clear any foulings, residue. If I don't the shots wander all over.

If you don't have the money or time to do the new scope thing....aim high!

Your shooting a straight line just low. If your confident that the gun shoots 6" low at 100 yards consistently, aim for the top of the shoulder. That should put your bullet right in the vitals.

The gun does not need to be perfect. You need to adapt, and overcome, for now. Get out and hunt!

When time and money allow, take the gun in to the pro's and let them look it over. It could be something simple.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Too many wounded deer running the woods or laying dead because of hunters using faulty equipment. A hunter needs to insure that the gun/bow shoots where it is susposed to. If the shotgun will shoot out to 50 yds and be 1-2 inches low then maybe I'd use it and limit my shots to that range. Not ethical to shoot beyond the ability to hit where you aim.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Too many wounded deer running the woods or laying dead because of hunters using faulty equipment. A hunter needs to insure that the gun/bow shoots where it is susposed to. If the shotgun will shoot out to 50 yds and be 1-2 inches low then maybe I'd use it and limit my shots to that range. Not ethical to shoot beyond the ability to hit where you aim.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to use faulty equipment.
Just knowing where the gun shoots consistently, and its shooting low a few inches, it would be doable.
I'm all about ethics.

With my bow a few years back, I could not get a decent group.
So, I stopped and shot the same arrow repeatedly till it was dialed in. Switched to a different arrow and I was off four inches?
Same batch of arrows, same brand, everything.

So I labeled each arrow 1 thru 6, and shot each one repeatedly, till I knew exactly where each one shot. Never readjusted the sights. Some went a touch left, right, up or down.
By knowing my gear I was deadly accurate with each arrow. And my season was good.

Same thing applies here, know your equipment.

If the OP can get his scope fixed, great.
If not, he can still hunt knowing the guns characteristics.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:06 PM

I hear you, and appreciate your due diligence, but for the average person I stand by my post. Don't shoot by guesstimates fix the problem prior to season.