Dad needing help!! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 10-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Dad needing help!!

Hello guys,....

My son just purchased a T/C Black Diamond Express from a friend and needs some advice on what bullets and load would work best and how to mount a scope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Scrub Buck

if you go on the website for TC guns ,..they list the optimum powder and load for each model rifle,..good guns those T/C's I tagged allot of deer in NC with a T/C
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Scrub Buck

I must have missed that because I have been all over T/C website,....any one have a link?

What about mounting a scope?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:52 PM

Well hello and welcome to the site. Most people can mount a scope if they take their time and don't use excessive force to tighten down the screws. I like to use BLUE loctite on the threads. I assume the ML is a 50 cal so 90-100 grains of 777, Black Horn, pyrodex or you can go the route of 2- 50 gr pellets for powder. Bullets for the TC using sabots can be a bit tough to load but they will shoot accurate. I like 250 gr TC shockwave bullets and super glide sabots. I also have shot the 250 gr Barnes bullet and really like those also. I also like CCI 209 primers. Whatever scope you decide on make sure that it can take the pounding of a ML. Cheap scopes just don't cut the mustard. I like the Leupold Rifleman series for ML rifles. Weaver type rings and bases are still great and easy to install by the novice. Try medium height basses in 1", these will clear a 40 mm objective lens, like a 3X9X40 scope. If yo go to a 50 mm you might have to go to high bases that puts the cheek/head too high for me. TC sells bases/rings for their products also.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Scrub Buck

I probably should have noted that I no nothing about Deer hunting or muzzle loaders! I have several guns and they have "rails" for mounting a scope,... my sons new muzzle loader does not? I don't mean to be difficult but you need to take baby steps with me, to be honest I don't think I could load and fire my son's new gun but I want to help him the best I can.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 PM
B&C 100 Class

If you live anywhere near a gun shop most should have the rail systems to screw into the top of the rifle. As long as the rifle is already tapped for the scope rail. I bought my rail at Gander Mountain which is just up the road from me. So I know they carry them. If all else fails go to their website and order them.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Maybe best to take the ML to a nearby Bass Pro shop, Cabela's, Gander Mountain or local gunsmith to do the scope issue for you.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:03 AM
B&C 100 Class

Talking Best To Experiment

There are so many bullet/powder combinations I recommend trying different loads until you find what works best in that gun. I tried three different loads before finding the best one. I shoot 2 50 gr. 777 pellets with Hornady's 250 gr. SST-ML High Speed - Low Drag sabots. This load will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards in both my TC and Traditions guns. The initial investment costs more but will make your ML experience more enjoyable in the long run.