Ghost rings - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Ghost rings

I just bought my first ML a CVA Accura. I'm thinking of changing the rear sight to a ghost ring or peep sight. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Also any Accura owners have suggestions on bullets and loads, I liked what I read on the Powerbelt bullets verses a bullet with a sabot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 PM

If you're going to limit your effective range using a peep or ghost ring I see no proglem with that. However, with today's ml rifles the maximum effective yardage with a scope is way beyond what you'll be able to do with a peep, even with perfect vision. I'd opt for a 3x9x40 scope with low mounts and be able to shoot out to 150 yds no problem. The only thing I've heard on the powerbelts is people either love them or they won't group well, so best advice try them. I shoot TC shock waves in 250 gr super glide sabots and really like them, but I also shoot them in a TC rifle.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

love the ghost ring on my Accura! I use the Front Globe sight as well.

5 shot group @ 100 yards with 100gr blackhorn209, 250gr Thor conical. It figured though that my final shot was a bit out of the group

Powerbelts, 90-100gr blackhorn209 with the 245-295gr Powerbelts and CCI 209M primers print excellent out of my Accura.

300 - 338gr Powerbelt Platinums with 90-100gr shoot excellent as well. They shoot awesome with 80gr american pioneer 2f, Winchester W209 primers as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for your input guys! I hunt an area in northern Wisconsin that's very thick so I rarely have a shot over 100 yards so I really don't see the need for a scope. I like the set up you have Frontier and if I can group like that I'd be extremely happy. Where did you get the sights from by the way?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

actually someone on another forum had his eyes go blurry and he gave them to me. You can still go to the truglo website and should be able to order from there. Ebay has them from time to time as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM

I'm thinking on a peep or ghost ring because my vision using open sights on the flintlocks is pretty poor. Not sure which would work for me.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
B&C 100 Class

i shoot a t/c as well but i would suggest banes spitfiretmz copper expanders in 250 grain they are a boattail sabot and highly effective to 220 yrds! but that is with a 3x9x40 burris ballistic plex scopewith low rings. asHunting Man mentioned! the scope and great ammo will yeild the maximum result . or get a scope with weaver quick release mounts that are keyed and put your scope back dead nuts on in case ya wanna shoot open site . just some food for thought and congrats on the new inline looks sweet!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Scrub Buck

Well I finally had a chance to sight in my Accura. I shot a 245 grn powerbelt with 2 triple 7 50/50 pellets. It took me 7 shots to to hit within the bullseye at 100 yards (2 inch spread) with the Tru Glo ghost ring and globe sight. I ran the bore brush through after the 3rd shot. Should I have been doing this every shot? Did sighting in the rifle this way really compromise the accuracy? I am and feel like such a rookie with this rifle...rrrrrrr
Old 11-07-2010, 01:45 PM
B&C 100 Class

When sighting in the rifle you should swab the barrel after each shot.

Also, it wouldnt hurt to get a box of the 295's I shoot the kodiak, my rifle was ok with the 245's but I got much better performance out of the 295's at 100yrds.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Scrub Buck

Ok i found my load 2 white hots and 245gr shockwaves 100 yards and my shots are touching each other, using a bench of course. I'm up at deer camp in northern Wi for my first ml season got here a couple days early during regular gun season. Naturally I had to get out in the stand using my new ml. What I'm about to admit to is very difficult to say but it may help someone else so here goes. I'm up in my climbing tree stand for about 4 hours with the gun stock down resting on the base of the stand and well.. I never realized how narrow my Accura was, it fit right through the slats of the base and fell 15 feet. I've been hunting 40 years and never came close to having an accident in the field...I'm just freakin thankful all that happened is I had to reinstall my front globe sight and take a few shots to sight it in. This was an eye opener for me to say the least.