Ronn's Hunterbolt - Page 5 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Banned

when it comes to traditions, the only ones right now that i like is the traditions mountain rifle. Its basically the Austin and Halleck mountain rifle but man is it sweet looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 11:23 AM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
Yeah ronn, I agree with you... I've been keeping an eye on Traditions Firearms since I purchsed my Pursuit LT in 2006
And so far I am really impressed with Traditions, a Lot of people don't even realize Traditions has the Outfitter series of centerfire rifles offering popular hunting Calibers like the .243, .270, .308, .30-06 & .444
Interchangeable Wilson rifled Barrels (made in the USA) so you can go from muzzleloader, to rifle or even shotgun in just a couple of minutes.

I'm not saying Traditions is better than their compettitors, Traditions just happens to be (in my opinion) the more affordable, quality alternative to a lot of other manufacturers who over price their products.
Look what happened to knight, luckily someone believed in that product enough to rebuild that company and get it back into the game, but I believe they fell because they priced themselves right off the market maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think happened....
yea i new they had that and just like knight and cva, i think cva is doing one now, they are trying to copy t/c's contender and encore.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Banned

Went out a little after 9:30 AM and had a beautiful cool cloud cover day with a slight breeze to my back.

90gr Blackhorn209, 245gr Aerotip Powerbelt, Standard CCI 209 primers. I took along my range rod as well so i could get consistent seating pressure.

I am just blown away with the 1:32 twist on this rifle. This is only the second CVA i've owned that had this twist and it has just been amazing with the Powerbelts. I actually prefer the 1:32 over the 1:28 twist.

I took a total of 12 shots but only going to post the last 3 shots as i did take my time shooting them and allowing the barrel to cool down properly.

First 3 shots with a few minute cool down on each shot,

After taking pictures of those 3 shots and packing up, i decided, what the heck! Dug out 2 more charges and loaded up!

Heres the original 3 shot group with 2 more shots added to it!

I can only imagine how well its going to shoot once i have the trigger adjusted to 3lbs!

And yes, i think 6 to 8 more clicks will put me exactly where i want to be. The 245's shot about 5" higher than the 295's from yesterday.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

Dang!! I just called CVA and told them about the trigger, and asked if i had to send in the entire rifle to get the trigger adjusted, He said they couldnt adjusted it and then proceeded to take down my name and address. Dave said, Ok i'll have a new trigger assembly going out to you for replacement.

Thats pretty good! Saves me the $15-$20 of having to send it back for lightening.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:10 PM
ronn

fg you don't know how much you liking that thing makes me smile. guess we're both pretty tickled about it. have fun
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

yeah i actually do like it alot to be honest. After i cast some round balls for my .54 cva mountain stalker i am going to shoot that for a bit and then switch over to the Hunterbolt. I just got the mtn stalker last friday.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:21 PM
ronn

so with a 1:32 twist i would think a slower charge would be in order?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

ive never gone over 100gr with the 1:32 twist but i think it'd do fine with more. It just all depends on the projectile you're using. 90gr BH209 with the 245-295gr Powerbelt is plenty for 150 yards.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 PM

Most likely the people who complain about the powerbelts not very accurate are shooting them out of a 1-28 twist barrel which may be too fast. I shoot most every load whether it is flint lock or in-line 50 cal with 100 gr charge. The 54 will shoot a patched round ball nicely with 110 gr of 2f.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:00 PM

I definitely need one of those shooting sleds.