Deer Hunting Forums banner

Ronn's Hunterbolt

27K views 108 replies 9 participants last post by  frontiergander 
#1 ·
Well guys as you may have seen, Ronn took me up on the " If you dont like it, send it to me" Offer i made. Hes the first one in 5 YEARS to actually take me up on it and i was surprised as heck when i got mail today and it was waiting in back for me.

Shocked the heck out of me even more when i opened the box and found that it was camo and made me even happier when i saw that it has a 1:32 twist! I love this twist and think that its the best twist that does excellent with Powerbelts.

I stripped it down, cleaned it, drilled the flash hole out to .035" and loaded it up with 90gr BH209 and used CCI 209M primers. Instant ignition and a really clean burning rifle in the primer area.

I put the Durasight metal sights on as the originals were plastic, good for a BB gun but not for a muzzle loader. Sighted them in at 50 yards and decided to get serious and mounted a bushnell 3-9x40 scope onto the Durasight QR mounts. Had to shave off the back of the mount a bit on the rear due to the bolt catching it but no biggy, its fixed and closes up nicely now.

It took me 3 shots to get it 1 1/2" high @ 50 yards with the scope and 90gr BH209 and 295gr Powerbelt. It's basically ready for 100 yards this evening.

This rifle was stacking them tightly once i got that scope on!

Some primers pop out a great deal, other times they dont do this at all. Go figure.

Once i get everything on sight i will start doing modifications to the stock such as Free floating the barrel and removing any stock material touching the sides of the barrel. I had a 2003 Winchester X150 years ago and it really responded great with this mod to the stock.

Once thats done, the bore gets Ultra Bore Coat and Ultra Gun Shield. These 2 products when combined but cleaned down to maybe 10 minutes on this rifle.

Thanks again Ronn, i'll be sure to put this rifle to use and heck, maybe even hunt with it one of these years.

See less See more
#61 ·
I dont know knights that well, owned one for almost a week before trading it off. It did however love 80gr american pioneer 3f and a 295gr powerbelt.

All of my other cva inlines are 1:28 and everything from the 245 all the way to the 338gr Platinum powerbelt doe awesome with 80-100gr Blackhorn209

#62 ·
I have had a CVA Hunterbolt mag forabout 6 years that I also purchased at wally world & am very happy with it. shot great right out of the box. I am with Ronn as I have not hunted with it for a few years. I too bow hunt during the ML season save $16.00 & my rifle tag. Frontier glad to see you like it

#64 ·
As I said prior, Most all my rifles digest 100 grs of whatever I loading and all shoot pretty well. The TC 250 gr shock waves with the superglide sabots shoot nice and currently I'm testing Barnes ML bullets with really good paper accuracy also in 250 gr. I'm not a pellet person. Take this test. Load 2 50 gr pellets and your favorite bullet and fire, then load 100 gr of Black Horn or 777 same bullet and fire. Now report back here on what your experience was.

#65 ·
Well after all of the scrubbing and applying the bore coat, shes still dead on @ 50 yards. A bit to hot to shoot this early so it looks like evening will be the time to shoot 100 yards.

The 1/8" flash channel seems to be cleaner but i only fired 5 shots at 50 so i guess another 5 or so shots will tell me if it was worth drilling out or not.

Loads super smooth shot after shot!

#70 ·
yeah earlier i checked it out at 50 as bore coat usually throws the scope off due to it tightening up the bore. It was dead on this time which is good. Its still dead on @ 100.

Out where i live, if we dont have wood and the power goes out, they'll find us during spring melt LOL.

#72 ·
Okay boys, i was playing around with breech plugs last night and this morning i got it perfect so far. Need some slight tuning but excellent thus far.

Using the breech plug out of my CVA Accura, it has been modified with a .035" flash hole, factory flash channel and the primer pocket was slightly drilled deeper and a rubber O ring added for head spacing adjustment in the Accura.

This breech plug is a direct replacement for the Hunterbolt! No mods needed. The O ring seals up tight when the firing pin hits the primer and holds it there perfectly tight up against it and thus eliminating blow back! This right now is probably about 95% blow back free and 110% reliable with Blackhorn209. I do have a little space that allows the primer to move back into the bolt about the thickness of a dime.

I am looking at a good way to adjust this thats reliable. My idea is to leave a little extra meat on it so it actually presses the primer into the O ring hard, making for an even better seal.

#80 ·
Okay guys a couple days ago i made a shim out of a brass and then drilled it out so the firing pin would fit through and then had to file it down a little at a time and test it until i got the tightness/seal that i needed it to be.

One thing i did wrong was use the wrong shape of drill bit and it put an oval recess into the brass rather than a nice flat surface like i need.

I plan on making a couple others with some idea's i had in mind.

Next one i do will have a flat surface and tighter specs around the primer. I can just drop the primer into that pocket and close the bolt. No more having to use a tool to primer the rifle

Bolt closed and showing an external *Weather seal* O ring

#83 ·
hey i had the breech plug and brass washer! All i shoot from an Inline is BH209 so doing this was pretty much needed. I could have just got away with the plug but i may as well do some tweaking while i can.

No messy clean up now either. I think i can clean this in the same amount of time as my break actions

#84 ·
I'm sold on the BH powder also, all though I still clean up after every outing. The TC Triumph and Firehawk require a wire brushing after the 2nd shot maybe a 3rd. Pretty tight bores on TC rifles. The Knight seemed to be slightly larger bore and maybe could get 3-4 shots before a brushing was required. This isn't any different than other powders like 777 but the BH just feels right and accuracy maybe is a bit better?

#85 ·
Yeah its super clean. Ive fired 60 shots without ever having to touch the bore. Consistent from one shot to the next. No head scratching and wonder, what the heck just happened?!! None of that any more.

Try some JB Bore paste and work those TC barrels over. Thats one of the biggest complaints i see about them is their tight bores.

#87 ·
new trigger assembly came in today. Wow what a difference! Its around 2.5 -3lbs.

theres a good deal of over travel but i think with some oil and usage, it will smooth right now. That area is exposed so you can access it easily and put some lapping compound in there if need be.

Great light weight trigger though! I am happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.