Ronn's Hunterbolt - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Without a sabot those bullets remind me of the Civil War mini's using the thin expanding bases except they were all lead. How is cooper fouling using the Thor bullets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 AM

FG, what brand of powder you using? I'm really liking Black Horn in the in-lines. Still use Goex 2, 3, and 4 in the flinters. I've still got some old Pyrodex RS, and some 777 on the shelf.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Ronn, you bought this and then gave it to FG without a hitch????? Sorry I don't think I know the whole story here.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 AM

TG, I don't think ronn was very impressed with it right from the start. I'm in line for next one
Old 08-15-2010, 10:53 AM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Ronn, you bought this and then gave it to FG without a hitch????? Sorry I don't think I know the whole story here.
yup pretty much.

i've had the thing for at least 10 years. carried it one season and went back to the t/c then got the savage.

the fit and finish is real poor. the machine screws that hold it together are soft, the trigger is like pulling a anvil with just a finger. the barrel looks like as it was on the lathe they laid a file on it for a finish then blued it, the sights were plastic, the stock is one of those hollow sounding synthetics. it was a booger to get the primer in and out. the plus was it was light but that didn't help with the perceived recoil. and it was cheap, but you get what you pay for even though some disagree.

the only thing i ask is that fg somehow pass it forward. like get a kid into hunting that maybe wouldn't have.

you can still buy them for right around 175 i think.

Last edited by ronn; 08-15-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

ive shot quite a few hundred of those thors and never notice any copper issues. I used a copper cleaner in the past and never got anything so i see that as a good thing!

I mostly shoot BH209 but do have a flinter so that gets Goex 3f.

The trigger is heavy on it, in fact with the scope on, i can curl up a finger, hook it around the trigger and the rifles weight still wont set it off. I can send the trigger into CVA and they'll adjust it down to 3 - 3.5lbs for free. So not really a problem, i am going to leave it alone for now and practice my trigger pull.

Overall barrel fit to stock is very clean, not to many area's of the barrel are touching the stock. No recoil pad but i can get the Crushzone for $13 later on. Ramrod rattles around in the thimble and i wish there was one more of those thimbles and seeing how its a slip on thimble, adding another shouldnt be a problem.

Capping is a pain in the butt if you dont use the tool for it but i figure after the first shot, you already spooked the game in the area so you may as well take your time reloading and not get rushed.

Have a nice cloudy day here right now so i'll be able to try some of those 245's out later on and see how they do.

Another thing i noticed is that there is no QLA!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:42 PM
ronn

what is QLA?

the phrase is "you can't polish a turd" but you certainly are trying. lol and you may just get it done.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quick Load Accurizor. Its basically a section at the muzzle loads bored slightly oversized and allows you to get the bullet started down the bore easily and lined up with the rifling before pushing it down.

CVA now uses a 3/8 Bullet Guiding Muzzle. Each company that uses it, has its own name for it.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:00 PM

The knight will start with your fingers which makes loading a lot easier than using a short starter.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:28 PM
B&C 100 Class

I too am a believer of paying it forward but why give a kid a gun that kicks like a mule and has (as you say ) other flaws that may set them up for a bad experience. I've seen you shoot it and yes it did have some issues.I hope that the new owner can make some use of it as it is a good unexpected gift . We live , we learn, and hopefully don't make the same mistakes twice. Always buy the best you can afford and hope for the best.