Starting out - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Starting out

I have been hunting all my life and have allways wanted to trying muzzleloading but I have know idea where to start. Does anyone have some advice for my or could point me in the right direction for me to get started before next season starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 AM

hello and welcome to the club. I think the muzzleloading forum continues to generate tremendous feedback fom members, which is a good thing for everyone. By looking through past threads you will find a whole lot of good advise. For starting out you have many choises. Flintlock, percussion, in-line all different ignition systems. You may want to start with a modest priced in-line rifle in 50 cal using two 50 grain pellets and a 209 primer system. Mount a good scope and you have a very shootable combination to start your muzzleloading career. Most muzzleloaders will guy sell several guns before finding just that right one. I can reccomend TC products, however, they are at the upper cost end of mass produced rifles. Do some more homework, decide how primative you want to go and begin your shopping. I can attest that flintlocks take the most practice and involve more attention but the thrill of shooting and harvesting will reap trendous memories. Keep asking question and we will strive to help out. HM
Old 12-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Scrub Buck

Thank you for the help. Is there any books I could read or manuals i can buy to help me decide what is best for a beginner like me
Old 12-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Scrub Buck

I'm 64 & just got my first muzzleloader. I got a CVA Optima & love it. My wife bought me an excellent book, "Muzzleloader Hunting Then & Now" by Toby Bridges. She got it from Amazon.com.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thumbs up Muzzleloader Options

I have a TC Omega Z5 and a Traditions Buckstalker both in .50 caliber. The Omega has a Traditions (I know, I know) 3-9X40 ML scope and the Buckstalker has a no-name 3-9X40 on it. With a load of 2 50 gr. 777 pellets and a 250 gr. Hornady SST-ML High Speed - Low Drag sabot, they both shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. Omegas run around $350 and Buckstalkers are around $170. I highly recommend either of them.