Traditions Buckstalker - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Traditions Buckstalker

Good afternoon everyone I am new to this site and the brief amount of time i have had to read the threads impressed me! a lot of muzzle loading knowledge on this site. I am new to muzzleloading just recieved a Traditions buck stalker this fall, was wondering if anyone has fired one, if so do you think it would fit the bill for whitetails?. I am a bow hunter at heart but getting excited to try muzzleloading up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM

hello and welcome to the site. Once you get hooked on muzzleloading you'll never give it up. You didn't say what caliber rifle you got but I would assume a 50 cal. This is the most popular caliber for deer hunters. Give us some more info regarding your purchase and someone will know something about it.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Scrub Buck

Ty hunting man, and sorry I forgot that part! It is a 50 caliber inline, says will hold 150 grains but after reading some threads on here and I am glad i did, I am going to start out with 100 grains.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 PM

100 grains is plenty and safe too.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 12-12-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spell
Old 12-12-2009, 05:08 AM

I don't have the Buckstalker but I hunt with a Traditions Pursuit Muzzleloader.
I'm sure you'll be happy with your new Traditions.

FYi,, I use 2 - 50grain pellets in mine, that's more than enough energy and velocity for a whitetail deer.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:39 PM
B&C 180 Class

if you use pellets you can sometimes fins 35 grains try use using a 50 and a 35
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Scrub Buck

I just bought the buckstalker myself, really liking it so far. It is true to its name and that .50 cal will drop a deer, loads vary from person to person as everyone seems to have that one perfect load. Find what works for you, you can fine tune your load outs with loose powder, its more hassle but probably gains maximum results.

Overall depending on the round you are shooting you can be pushing usually anywhere from a .45 to .50 cal 200+ grain round with some fairly impressive energy potential and decent muzzle velocity into a deer, using the proper rounds you can do some massive damage in there. Shot placement is king, all that is probably preaching to the choir if you love to play the strings.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:04 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvstar View Post
I just bought the buckstalker myself, really liking it so far. It is true to its name and that .50 cal will drop a deer, loads vary from person to person as everyone seems to have that one perfect load. Find what works for you, you can fine tune your load outs with loose powder, its more hassle but probably gains maximum results.

Overall depending on the round you are shooting you can be pushing usually anywhere from a .45 to .50 cal 200+ grain round with some fairly impressive energy potential and decent muzzle velocity into a deer, using the proper rounds you can do some massive damage in there. Shot placement is king, all that is probably preaching to the choir if you love to play the strings.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 PM

I agree you get more bang for your load with granulated powder than pellets. I can feel the difference on my shoulder when shooting 2 50 gr pellets vs 100 gr of 777 or blackhorn. When my son was a bit smaller he could shoot his Knight all day with 2 pellets but as soon as he shot my TC with 100 grains of rs pyrodex he head for the truck talking to himself.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Scrub Buck

Default lyman deer stalker .54 cal

what do you guy`s do after a day in the woods and your gun is still loaded it`s -20 and thats cold . i was told to just leave it in the garage over night and don`t let it get warm , next day out i get a chance on a doe and nothing but the primer went off .damn ? 100 grains of 777 maxi ball .54 430 grains

Last edited by sledhead 34; 12-12-2009 at 09:01 PM.