Deer Hunting Forums banner

Traditions Buckstalker

46K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  3212 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone I am new to this site and the brief amount of time i have had to read the threads impressed me! a lot of muzzle loading knowledge on this site. I am new to muzzleloading just recieved a Traditions buck stalker this fall, was wondering if anyone has fired one, if so do you think it would fit the bill for whitetails?. I am a bow hunter at heart but getting excited to try muzzleloading up here.

#2 ·
hello and welcome to the site. Once you get hooked on muzzleloading you'll never give it up. You didn't say what caliber rifle you got but I would assume a 50 cal. This is the most popular caliber for deer hunters. Give us some more info regarding your purchase and someone will know something about it.

#5 ·
I don't have the Buckstalker but I hunt with a Traditions Pursuit Muzzleloader.
I'm sure you'll be happy with your new Traditions.

FYi,, I use 2 - 50grain pellets in mine, that's more than enough energy and velocity for a whitetail deer.

#6 ·
if you use pellets you can sometimes fins 35 grains try use using a 50 and a 35

#7 ·
I just bought the buckstalker myself, really liking it so far. It is true to its name and that .50 cal will drop a deer, loads vary from person to person as everyone seems to have that one perfect load. Find what works for you, you can fine tune your load outs with loose powder, its more hassle but probably gains maximum results.

Overall depending on the round you are shooting you can be pushing usually anywhere from a .45 to .50 cal 200+ grain round with some fairly impressive energy potential and decent muzzle velocity into a deer, using the proper rounds you can do some massive damage in there. Shot placement is king, all that is probably preaching to the choir if you love to play the strings.

#9 ·
I agree you get more bang for your load with granulated powder than pellets. I can feel the difference on my shoulder when shooting 2 50 gr pellets vs 100 gr of 777 or blackhorn. When my son was a bit smaller he could shoot his Knight all day with 2 pellets but as soon as he shot my TC with 100 grains of rs pyrodex he head for the truck talking to himself.:crybaby:

#10 · (Edited)
lyman deer stalker .54 cal

what do you guy`s do after a day in the woods and your gun is still loaded it`s -20 and thats cold . i was told to just leave it in the garage over night and don`t let it get warm , next day out i get a chance on a doe and nothing but the primer went off .damn ?:photo: 100 grains of 777 maxi ball .54 430 grains

#11 ·
I always fire to clear at the end of the night, im not comfortable leaving a charge in the barrel, primer or no primer. Some powders/pellets are more corrosive than others and I am somewhat a clean freak when it comes to any of my firearms. Thats just me, plus most mfgs reccomend clearing the barrel before any storage, overnight or through to the next season. Several places online sell those Co2 barrel clearing gizmos, never tried one but ive heard they are useful. Other option if you can is to unscrew the breech and let it drop.

#17 ·
As long as it is not raining or snowing I leave the round and powder and pull the cap. I always bring the rifle in remove it from the case and put it near a heat source. (not to close) I have never had a problem doing it this way. But for each his own if you feel more comfortable removing the round so be it.

#13 ·
just wanted to add something im heading out tomorrow so i pulled the cva wolf out of the case to give it the once over i inserted a rust preventer card in the barrel before putting it away last season and it actually worked as promised no rust and theres always some surface rust.i suggest everyone get a pack of those cards for your BP guns

#14 ·
I figured I would throw out an update for those maybe thinking about buying a buckstalker. I have had mine for a couple weeks now and put some rounds through it.

First thing I did was invest $30 in a limbsaver slip on ( medium fits great ), a good sling and a traditions scope I got for christmas. It has a smooth trigger pull, I would be lying if I tried to guess the pull weight but it is light in my opinion, not too light but you can be smooth and fluid without having to worry about jerk. With a sling it is easy getting through thick woods with it. Very easy and quick to disassemble. All in all so far an excellent buy. I would highly reccomend it for someone that wants a 24" breakover.

#15 ·
Buckstalker Shooter

I shoot a Buckstalker too. They only come in .50. It has a Tasco 3-9X40 scope and it shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. The load I use is 2 50 gr. 777 pellets and a 250 gr. Hornady SST-ML High Speed - Low Drag sabot. It's sighted 3" high at 100 yards. That load and accuracy is more than enough for whitetails out to 175 yards.:w00t:

#16 ·
BEAUTIFUL! This is an OLD thread, but I stumbled on it through a google search and was delighted by the info.... expected my buckstalker to arrive today, but a stupid note from the UPS man said I had to be there to sign for it and he would have to come back Monday.:wallbash: Ah well, I guess better safe than sorry.

Any one else have any powder/bullet combo's I should try out?

G
#19 ·
.50 cal Buckstalker

Hi,

im from South Africa and I received my Traditions Buckstalker .50 cal last Thursday.
I am very impressed with it, not at all what I expected from a Black Powder rifle.
I use 70gr Sannadex powder with 250gr Hornady rounds.

I have only fired it about 10 times, but loving it. I had a Nikko Stirling 4x32 Mountmaster scope on it, but it broke the cross hair. I am going for a Weaver 3-9x40 scope, getting it tomorrow. Then I will zero it again and keep practising.

I really like this rifle.

ATB,
Roger!

#24 ·
Blackpowder load

I have a .50 caliber Traditions muzzleloader. I found it at a household auction.It's the Deerhunter model.1in66 twist.It will not stabilize the conicals but is accurate with the roundballs.I use loose powder(80 grains of 2f).Still working my way up from 50 grains to find the best accuracy.

#25 ·
Muzzleloader Energy

When I use 80 grains of 2F in a 24 inch barrel the roundball passes through 3/8 particle board at 50 yards.I'm trying to determine the limit in terms of energy to kill a deer with this flintlock.A 1 in 66 twist limits me to roundballs.It will not stabilize conicals or PA Ballets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.