Traditions Buckstalker - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Scrub Buck

I always fire to clear at the end of the night, im not comfortable leaving a charge in the barrel, primer or no primer. Some powders/pellets are more corrosive than others and I am somewhat a clean freak when it comes to any of my firearms. Thats just me, plus most mfgs reccomend clearing the barrel before any storage, overnight or through to the next season. Several places online sell those Co2 barrel clearing gizmos, never tried one but ive heard they are useful. Other option if you can is to unscrew the breech and let it drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Scrub Buck

Default thanks

ive hate havin to waste shots .we have three weeks of hunting in mn. every night but i want to be sure the next day it will fire too ,it`s a deerstalker lyman so no clearing of breach .
Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 PM
B&C 180 Class

just wanted to add something im heading out tomorrow so i pulled the cva wolf out of the case to give it the once over i inserted a rust preventer card in the barrel before putting it away last season and it actually worked as promised no rust and theres always some surface rust.i suggest everyone get a pack of those cards for your BP guns
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Scrub Buck

I figured I would throw out an update for those maybe thinking about buying a buckstalker. I have had mine for a couple weeks now and put some rounds through it.

First thing I did was invest $30 in a limbsaver slip on ( medium fits great ), a good sling and a traditions scope I got for christmas. It has a smooth trigger pull, I would be lying if I tried to guess the pull weight but it is light in my opinion, not too light but you can be smooth and fluid without having to worry about jerk. With a sling it is easy getting through thick woods with it. Very easy and quick to disassemble. All in all so far an excellent buy. I would highly reccomend it for someone that wants a 24" breakover.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thumbs up Buckstalker Shooter

I shoot a Buckstalker too. They only come in .50. It has a Tasco 3-9X40 scope and it shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. The load I use is 2 50 gr. 777 pellets and a 250 gr. Hornady SST-ML High Speed - Low Drag sabot. It's sighted 3" high at 100 yards. That load and accuracy is more than enough for whitetails out to 175 yards.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Scrub Buck

BEAUTIFUL! This is an OLD thread, but I stumbled on it through a google search and was delighted by the info.... expected my buckstalker to arrive today, but a stupid note from the UPS man said I had to be there to sign for it and he would have to come back Monday. Ah well, I guess better safe than sorry.

Any one else have any powder/bullet combo's I should try out?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:09 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvstar View Post
I always fire to clear at the end of the night, im not comfortable leaving a charge in the barrel, primer or no primer. Some powders/pellets are more corrosive than others and I am somewhat a clean freak when it comes to any of my firearms. Thats just me, plus most mfgs reccomend clearing the barrel before any storage, overnight or through to the next season. Several places online sell those Co2 barrel clearing gizmos, never tried one but ive heard they are useful. Other option if you can is to unscrew the breech and let it drop.
As long as it is not raining or snowing I leave the round and powder and pull the cap. I always bring the rifle in remove it from the case and put it near a heat source. (not to close) I have never had a problem doing it this way. But for each his own if you feel more comfortable removing the round so be it.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave6er View Post
BEAUTIFUL! This is an OLD thread, but I stumbled on it through a google search and was delighted by the info.... expected my buckstalker to arrive today, but a stupid note from the UPS man said I had to be there to sign for it and he would have to come back Monday. Ah well, I guess better safe than sorry.

Any one else have any powder/bullet combo's I should try out?
Sweet.. Glad you could find this old thread.. Makes you feel better about the purchase Im sure.. I cant give you powder/bullet combos for a Traditions but I shoot Shockwaves and 777 in my T/C. Good luck and have fun sighting it in.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 AM
R0G3R

Talking .50 cal Buckstalker

Hi,

im from South Africa and I received my Traditions Buckstalker .50 cal last Thursday.
I am very impressed with it, not at all what I expected from a Black Powder rifle.
I use 70gr Sannadex powder with 250gr Hornady rounds.

I have only fired it about 10 times, but loving it. I had a Nikko Stirling 4x32 Mountmaster scope on it, but it broke the cross hair. I am going for a Weaver 3-9x40 scope, getting it tomorrow. Then I will zero it again and keep practising.

I really like this rifle.

ATB,
Roger!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 AM

Muzzleloading rifles are hard on true rifle scopes, one should invest in a true muzzleloader scope designed for that purpose. I shoot 100 grs of Black Horn and 250 and now 290 gr bullets in the in-lines.