Thompson/Center Triumph - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 09-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up

I just got my Thompson/Center Triumph camo stock and stainless weatherguard about 2 weeks ago. This is my first muzzleloader.

Besides it arriving without the fiber optic insert in the front site, I am very happy and impressed with this gun! Thompson promptly sent me a new element to install and it was easy to correct. It's a little loose (up and down movement) but it won't slide out because the ends are melted. Thompson says the little play is normal. Comments on this?

I also shot it using T/C 250gr shockwave sabots, 2 and 3 Pyrodex pellets and Winchester primers (don't know the number, just standard 209 primers) with no problem. Cleaning after each shot was a snap with the removable breech plug. I'm using Hoppes No 9 Plus and it seems to work well. Anything better out there?

I'm using open sights for now and it's a very light gun to carry compared to some of the rifles I have.

Last edited by rbgatti; 09-20-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 AM

i dont know if its a better cleaner or not but ive used thompson/center #13 bore cleaner for a long time now. im very impressed with the job it does
Old 09-22-2007, 09:46 PM
B&C 180 Class

im not really sure but i think hoppes isnt for blackpowder,just smokeless powder.that BP is very corrosive i would use a cleaner just for it.I use barrel blaster concentrated gun cleaning gel by cva.never had a problem with it.I dont smell as nice as hoppes but you can use it around the wife
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Scrub Buck

Hoppes No 9 Plus is formulated for black powder. It's not that standard No 9.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 PM
B&C 180 Class

see ya learn something new everyday,thanks
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Scrub Buck

I set up a friend Triumph last week, it was seating there all scoped and ready. So I took it to the range. All went well, one shot , opened the gun removed primer, the gun would not close. The bottom lever wouldn't move, I just shot it, 150g 777 witha shockwave. The barrel would go into the receiver but lever didn't move. So I put both thumbs on the handgrip and index fingers on the lever, pulled and it snapped off. The whole trigger guard is this cast sliver stuff.
On Monday I called TC, its warrantied and it will be repaired. That's my experence
Old 10-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Scrub Buck

Hi NJ Hunter. I would not be too disappointed with you experience with the Truimph. TC is good, but not perfect. Yes your experience should not have happened, but they will make good on it. I too have had a few bad experiences with TC products, but nor bad compared to CVA> TC is a far better muzzleloader.

What type of 209 primers are you using with the Triumph? I have shot about 50 rounds through my Triumph and the only problem I have had is it does not close with the Winchester 777 209 primers. Works great with the remington primers.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Hello all

I have wanted to get in to black power for a while now. After reading alot on T/C triumph i did get it and the omega scope to put on it. I am still doing some reading on what people sugest for power brands. I am hearing alot of 777 pellets and pyrodex. Also for the round shockwaves and sure fire sabots. What are you ideas or thoughs?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 PM

i have only shot it several times and havent had the time to experiment with it much but here is my load..

2 50gr triple7 pellets
1 200gr t/c shockwave sabot
1 209 remington kleanbore primer

do not buy the winchester 209 primers. me and another member on here could not get the gun to close using these. i tried some older shotgun primers i had and it closed fine with them. the only reason i use the remington is because its suppose to be cleaner.

i bet that omega scope is nice. i looked at those and considered it but did not want to pay the price for it this year. i bought a nikon prostaff instead.

the shockwaves are tough to load but your accuracy should be better than a bore sized bullet like the powerbelts.

and welcome to the site. make yourself at home
Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Scrub Buck

Thank you for the info, Going to pick some up and try it out this weekend.

Wilber