Deer Hunting Forums banner

At the end of the day

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  timberghost 
#1 ·
If you hunt all day and don't get a shot, what do you do to your rifle to make it ready for the next day (and perhaps the day after that) Pull the primer and leave the load in? Remove the load and reload in the morning? I just bought a break action in line rifle (I used a primitive caplock many years ago) My new rifle is easy to load and unload and should be a lot more reliable.

#3 ·
i remove the primer and then slowly remove the breech plug and shake out my pellets then push the bullet out.BP is very corrosive so i dont leave it in.also im a clean freak i clean them after each outing

#5 ·
I agree with wmi, If moisture isn't a concern you shouldn't have to discharge your Muzzleloader at the end of each day.
Just be sure to remove the primer at the end of each hunt.
Good Luck...

#8 ·
Im the same as wmi on this as well.. Our ML seasons in TN only last for a week at a time.. If I dont shoot I will leave it loaded for the remainder of the hunting week. After the week is over and I havent taken a shot I will set me up a target real quick and make sure im still zeroed in..

#10 ·
Moisture is a Muzzleloaders worse enemy. I use the following Raingear to help on rainy days and YES they do help, I get them at Traditions Firearms

If I hunt during a heavy rainfall, I always discharge and clean my muzzleloader and reload for the following day.
I've never had a misfire while using the Raingear but moisture is moisture and it's better to be safe than sorry.

#11 ·
black electrical tape it what we used on the rifles at camp

#13 ·
uhhh what??????:wacko:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.