a/p omega - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default a/p omega

just bought a new t/c omega with an a/p camo stock and the new weathershield barrel. Can not wait to get to the range, come on spring! I have a red dot I may put on but not sure about that yet want to shoot thru the open sights first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
B&C 120 Class

I had a red dot on my shotgun and pulled it off. For me its a challenge as you need to keep that red dot centered to shoot true. For me it's hard to do without reticles. I have more confidence in my Omega than my shotgun which is not unusual these days with the inline technology available.

Alot of forum talk feedback on a good load for the Omega is 100-110 grains of T7 with the 250gr SW bullet. I am also hearing that BH209 with the Barnes TMZ 250gr is a popular combo for the Omega. Barnes makes a solid copper bullet that penetrates and expands like a bonded bullet. You will pay for them (about $1/bullet.) Alot of guys for economic reasons punch paper with a cheaper bullet and hunt with the Barnes TMZ or TEZ.

I have a friend that has a TC Prohunter and he shoots this Barnes TMZ/BH209 combo. He is holding .5" groups at 100 yards. This is amazing accuracy. With my Omega I am getting just over 1" groups using 2-T7 pellets with the 250gr SW. I am on a quest to break 1 MOA so I am going to convert to T7 powder and try 100gr-110gr-120gr charges. Using powder yields better accuracy than pellets so I expect improvement. If not then I will try the Harvester Crushed Rib Sabot as a substitute then move on to the Barnes/BH209 combo if needed. Stay tuned for range results when the weather warms up a bit.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 PM

my 50 T/C firehawk using old TC maxi-hunters with 100 grs of 3f black powder topped wih a 3X9X40 Tasco will group 1" at 100 yds. This is old stuff compared to what's available now. A musket cap provides the fire. Sometimes what's behind the trigger makes more of an impact on accuracy than what's being pushed down the barrel. Every rifle will tell you what load/bullet combination shoots best, you just need to find it.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM

Congrats on the new omega.. Ive yet to hear a complaint from that line..