Deer Hunting Forums banner

lookin to buy new muzzleloader

18K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Rozman62 
#1 ·
before next season i will probably be buying a new muzzleloader.. im leaning toward something with a 209 primer (thats the only thing i know for sure). im not leaning toward any brand. i currently use a knight 50 cal LK-93 with a musket cap nibble. (sick of messin with musket caps). im just wondering what other hunters are using and what they are happy with???? give me some feed back on this as i would like to just spend the money once.. BIG WORM is in the house:thumbup:

#2 ·
Savage Smokeless

Last year I bought one of the new Savage smokeless powder muzzelloaders. I was in the same boat as you buck fever, I reluctantly bought the savage, because of advice from some of my hunting buddies. well to make a long story short I wasn't disappointed. it's very, very accurate very easy to clean due to the smokeless powder unlike black powder 777 or pyrodex, and it fires with 209 primers so you are getting plenty of fire, and the primers are easy to load and unload. I think you would really like this paticular gun.

P.S. My wife took her first deer with one this year, a big slick head.

#4 ·
If anyone is looking to purchase a new Muzzleloader here's my advice.

You can choose the higher priced inlines with the fancy stocks and interchangeable barrels BUT in reality we already have our rifles so we dont need that interchangeable option. and I dont think Deer get excited over fancy stocks so why opt for them. What should be considered is Quality, Reliability, accuracy and PRiCE !!!!
I have a .50 cal Traditions Pursuit LT in full camo. cost me around 300 Dollars complete. it's a break open Inline and I lOVE it.
Target Magazine announced the top 4 Muzzleloaders for 2006 and would you believe the Traditions Yukon priced at around 150 dollars was one of the top 4?
What's that tell ya about Traditions Muzzleloaders, tells me you dont have to be highest priced to hang with the big boys...

SO before you go out and over spend Don't just take my word for it but, give a good look into Traditions before you Decide to make a final purchase.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/index.asp

Good Luck and Happy Safe Hunting

#5 ·
im one that trys not to overspend. thats why i been shooting the knight lk-93 the past few years. im leaning toward the omega from t/c right now. it does not have a bad price and should be a very reliable gun.

ive only shot a traditions firearm once. so i cant be a judge on them. but ive heard very little good things about them. but you cant always beleive what you hear.

#6 ·
Yeah I heard a lot of negative about traditions when I was looking to buy too. But I ended up getting one and well so far I have to say it's a great weapon i'm glad I opted for it.

#7 ·
i had got myself an in-line last fall and am very pleased with it, first deer i had shot at with it i dropped! I purchased the CVA WOLF 50 cal came with scope and rings and a removable breech plug. I believe i paid 139.99 the set up i use is 2 - 50 grain pyrodex pellets and 245 gr power belts combo worked good for me, I was amazed its like using a rifle!

#13 ·
what load are you using for those platinums?

#15 ·
b.p

im heading up to orange to scout for birds ill stop by the wll mart or gander mt to pick some up and give em a try

#16 ·
im heading up to orange to scout for birds ill stop by the wll mart or gander mt to pick some up and give em a try
i was saying i did not like the group with the platinum. i did not know if you realized that was what i was saying or not. unless your just going to see if you can get a good group with them. i would think they would shoot alot better over loose powder instead of the pyrodex i shoot them with.

#17 ·
no i did not glad you caught it. :bag: i never used the loose stuff do you like it? i hear it has beter ignition

#20 ·
Thompson Center Omega

I have the T/C Omega with Realtree Hardwoods stock and stainless barrel. I shoot two 50 grain pyrodex pellets and powerbelts. I would recomend this gun to anyone. It is a great firearm. I also like the T/C Pro Hunter. The Omega is fairly easy to clean. I get pretty good groups. Plus you could buy the Nikon Omega Scope with the BDC Reticle made for the Omega. It gives you different yardage circles for different shot ranges. Hope you get one you are happy with.

#23 ·
I shoot loose powder in my TC flintlocks 90 grs, and 110 grs in a Hawken rifle. I use 3f in the 50 cals and 2f in the 54 Hawken. I tried to shoot pellets in my TC firehawk and only one pellet would go off the other one would fly out like a shooting star. The inline uses a musket cap so maybe a 209 would ignite the second pellet? I too will be looking for a new inline for next year and will probably look to the TC/Knight lines.

#24 ·
always wanted to go the traditional route .Do you go all out and dress up like a mountain man?I see a lot of guys doing that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.