overkill? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Scrub Buck

Default overkill?

I read all of the old posts on bullet size and amount of powder to use but i was wondering if i could ask your opinion. My friends dad taught me to use 3-50grain pellets of triple 7 every time. From what I've read from older posts this is overkill. I am planning on buying some t/c shockwaves and hornadys fpb to try them out. Any advice on the size and amount of powder to use? I can't imagine on making any shots more than 100 yards where we hunt. Any idea as to why he always uses 150 grains? He has been hunting for a long time and knows a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
B&C 140 Class

It all has to do with what your gun likes. You have to experiment with different loads and sabot bullets to see what your gun likes. I have a Knight that loves 100 grains of Pyrodex but hates Triple 7. Now my T/C hates Pyrodex. It all boils down to spending time at the range for a day experimenting. The Knight likes 250 grain Barnes but hates Hornady. Trail and error.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:46 PM

I think it may be because years ago (until modern technology and product advancements came into play)
A lot of hunters believed the hotter loads would produce quicker and more accurate kill shots.
That isn't the case any longer, Today, like wmi say's the load and bullet is determined more at the range through trial and error,
sometimes a lighter bullet with just 2 pellets may perform better.... It's up to you, the shooter to determine what works best for you.
2 pellets will do the job in most cases...

Some muzzleloaders can't handle 3 pellets (3 pellets = Magnum Load)
So refer to your owners manual to MAKE SURE yours can handle 3, before you try using 3 pellets.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:20 PM

My T/C firehawk won't shoot pellets at all. Like wmi & BB said, it takes the range work to figure out what your gun likes. I don't think for your hunting situation 150 grs is necessary but again your gun may shoot them fine.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 PM
B&C 180 Class

i also believe that 150 grains is too much it causes flinching which is the bane of accuracy
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 AM
B&C 120 Class

tmac - I have been addicted to mzl for 30 years now. Stay away from using 3 pellets for deer if your shots are inside 100 yards. Some shooters use 3 pellets when they go beyond 150 yards. 2 pellets has plenty of knockdown power for whitetails. It's cheaper and more effective IMHO.

Marketing has done a good job promoting 3 pellet magnum loads which may be why your friends dad uses magnum loads. You will sacrifice accuracy using 3 pellets. Most mzl have a sweet spot for accuracy that may range from 90gr-120gr. My Omega likes 2-50gr pellets or 110gr of powder both in T7 with 250gr SW bullets. I have run tests and my groups open up outside these ranges.

You did not mention what you have for a mzl but chances are if it's a Thompson then the SW will perform better than the Hornady. (Hornady actually manufactures the SW for Thompson but the bullets geometry and sabot are different so the results on paper will vary) I recommend you stay clear of using 3 pellets for the sake of your shoulder, accuracy and your wallet.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
B&C 120 Class

I have two t/c's a black diamond and an omega.100 grains of triple 7 or pyrodex works great for me in both. Prefer triple 7 clean up is easier. I have shot 245 grain powerbelts they are all over the place. Tried the shockwaves, besides being a little difficult to load they are dead accurate.All of the shots i take are under 100 yards. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up over kill

i don't belive there is overkill in the shooting of game no matter what . You want to kill a aminal not lose it . you want to put it down right away so no matter what you used big or right placement is the thing
Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 PM
B&C 180 Class

going big is no substitute for accuracy or shot placement.people who shoot loads they cant handle are a danger to themselves and others
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Shot placement for rapid kill is the primary objective of any ethical hunter. Shot placement for miminal meat damage should be next on the list. Killing for the sake of maximum carcass damage is not for me and I hope most here would agree. A rifle is simply a tool, use one that gets the job done quickly, accurately, and with miminal meat loss and you've done your job as a hunter.