Deer Hunting Forums banner

.25 acp breech plug?

12K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  thegunfixer 
#1 ·
been thinkin about switching over to one of these ,anyone out there use one ? can you tell any difference? i dont know whether to beleive the hype about the 209 primers being too much bang or not .would rather hear from some guys who have made the switch and get the real story.

#2 ·
209's are fine. You can buy the ones for ML guns made by Winchester if you are worried about it. It is just like everything else out there someone is always trying to make a buck by creating false need. Everyone talks the talk especially when they are getting paid for it. In this day and age the best sense you have is your nose for BS. The problem is most of this type of hype has to have just enough truth to help sell the product. Save your money.:no:

#3 ·
I am not familiar with the .25 acp conversion but if there is a conversion available to you,
you first have to understand you're not converting to a more powerful powder charge,
the conversion to 209 primers is only the source of Ignition.
209 primers are currently the most reliable ignition source available today.

I hope someone can offer more info with the .25 acp breech plug Conversion.

Good Luck

#4 ·
The issue with 209's is that they say they are so powerful that they start movement of the round before ignition of the charge. This in turn they say leads to inconsistent groups. I personally have not found this to be the case or if it is it is so small that the average to even above average shooter will not notice it at all. I could see an issue if you are a match grade shooter but other than that it is industry hype. By the way I shoot modern ML's a lot.

#7 ·
As wmi states the difference in results is only concerning to competitive shooters. I ran a series of tests last year between std win 209, Win-ML 209 and the 25 ACP and the variation between groupings was next to none. I only ran the test on tight fitting sabots with a regemented cleaing process between shots. I suspect that groups would open up more on looser fitting sabots. All in all save your money unless your a perfectionist.

#8 · (Edited)
Hi Guys I am new here. I use the 25 acp breech plug in my encore and sidekick. I like the fact I can reprime them and keep reusing the brass. I can also use small rifle and small pistol primers when I do prime them. I have found my accuracy has improved in both of the guns. The downfall as I see it is the cost. The breech plug is 60 dollars plus shipping. What I especially like about it in my sidekick is that it eliminates the 209 primer carriers and also cut back dramatically on the blowback into the action. The plug is made by precision rifle bullets. their websie is Precision Rifle Home - the world's most innovative Muzzleloader Bullets It is worth looking at

#9 ·
25acp

this system is used on the ultimate muzzleloader only they use a 45 mag case with a primer it don't move the [powder and this gun 5in group at 500 yards with 200gr of powder yes that s right 200 gr of powder it saft to shoot 250 in this gun also i used a 209 pocket with a small rifle primer in it and thinking about this 25 acp real hard and this does work better then just the 209 s

#10 ·
well got some great news found a couple of guys and they have them and say the ram rod whem prime with a 25 don't move as much as the 209 then got on line with some primmer company they say they made the new ones not as hot i shot there guns and one was a knight bolt action 45 that shot well lets say less then a inch the encore the same thanks the savage

#11 ·
25 acp breech plug I can help !!!!

Hello deerdude. If you go to E Arthur Brown web site you will get the desired info you are looking for. In short you can purchase this special breech plug that hold a 25 acp casing that is primed with a small rifle primer. I believe you get 6 casings and the special breech plug for 59.00. These guys at EABCO share a lot of their knowledge to the consumer. So check it out, we can all save some money through knowledge of those who have time tested and tested...................... so muzzle loader shooters can squeeze out more consistent accuracy:thumbup: Have fun!!!!! Leftymaddawg

#13 ·
.25 ACP primer

been thinkin about switching over to one of these ,anyone out there use one ? can you tell any difference? i dont know whether to beleive the hype about the 209 primers being too much bang or not .would rather hear from some guys who have made the switch and get the real story.
I converted my TC Omega before season last year and the results have been outstanding. The .25 primers (brass has to be reloaded with small rifle primers) are tremendously faster and hotter than 209 primers. If you wanted to put it in a word I'd call them "crisp". At the same time I went to White Hotz pellets as well. The end result is at least 50% les smoke at discharge and 50% less residue/fouling. Shooting 209 primers and Pyrodex (150 grains) I can fire 11 shots out of my Omega before I have to swab and clean. With .25 primers and White Hotz (I get the same performance out of 100 grains Hotz vs. 150 Pyrodex) I've fired 25 shots and still didn't need to clean and swab. So personally and professionally I definitely recommend the .25ACP primersot mentioning that they are much easier to handle and place the 209's. In fact I've already done 8 conversions and expect several more prior to the October Muzzleload season this year. In fact I have a special ongoing to clean, service, check optics alignment and do the .25ACP conversion for $150.00 right now.

Hope the info helps,
The Gun Fixer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.