cva buckhorn magnum ok starter? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 11-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Scrub Buck

Default cva buckhorn magnum ok starter?

hello fellow hunters. im new to this forum, but ive hunted all my life. mostly gun and bow. i live in ohio. i just bought a muzzle loader. it is a cva 50 caliber buckhorn magnum. i didnt want to spend a fortune on a encore if i dont like the sport. just wondering if anyone has used one and what is your take on this gun. im going to use powerbelt hollow points in the 295 grain with 100 grains of triple 7. sound good? thank you in advance of all replies. jeff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 PM

welcome to the site. You'll like the black powder hunting. I really can't help you on the CVA product personally, but many others purchase them so I don't think you went wrong. Someone here may be able to give additional input on the CVA's. I'm also from Ohio, what area you hunt?

Last edited by Hunting Man; 11-29-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-30-2008, 05:14 AM
Scrub Buck

Default cva

thank ou for the response. i live in the warren area. i hunt in an urban zone here and also in hartford ohio. a friend has land about 200 feet from an old orchard there, good hunting. jeff.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM
B&C 140 Class

I have not heard anything negative about the new CVA's. Now have experienced and heard other hunters as well about the lack of pinpoint accuracy with power belts. I gave the rest of mine away. I would recommend Barnes 250 hollow points. Very accurate with a ton of knock down power out to 150 yards.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Scrub Buck

Default cva buckhorn

i shot it today 6 times at 100 yards. i ran a dry patch down between each shot. i only have open sights right now. all but 1 hole was within 5 inches. good or bad???
Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

How far? If at 100 yards from a bench you can do better. Remember that targets are 1 thing and a deer is another. You should with open sites try to cut that in half with no strays. With adrenalin flowing groups tend to grow. I'm pretty sure that gun is capable of much better. 5" will get the job done but never be satisfied with anything less than perfection. Try those other sabots and I think you will see a difference. Like everyone here says aim small miss small. Pick a hair and try to cut it in two. Most of today's modern muzzle loaders are capable of 1 1/2" groups. All this being said for first time out it sounds like you are doing pretty well. Probably the biggest mistake hunters make is not concentrating on calming themselves down and breathing correctly before the shot. This is why you hear of so many wounded and unrecovered animals. Always while hunting try to find a rest if at all possible.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:22 AM

Welcome aboard pappygol and greetings from WNY. I used to drive fuel tankers into Niles (BP refining) off of route 11.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Scrub Buck

oh i dont get the shakes any more when hunting. im too old. ha ha . im going to put a scope on this thing before it is over. 100 yards isnt real far. but for an old fart with open sights. it seems like a mile. i use an old sako 25.06 for varmits and coyote. ofcourse i have a great scope. it will shoot 1/2 inch groups with ease. maybe a scope will do the trick. thanks guys. jeff.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Scrub Buck

hi timberghost. i know right where you deliver. i live about 8 minutes from there. thank you. jeff/
Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Unregistered

Default Its even good for advanced...

I picked one up for a spare back a few years ago. With 100gr of pyrodex select under a 240gr Hornady XTP with one of those green sabots I shot a 2" 5shot group at 100yds, brushing the bore in between shots. That is MORE than adequate. For $120 you can't go wrong.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote