cva buckhorn magnum ok starter? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned

for just getting a rifle and taking it to 100 yards and shooting a 5" group with open sights, i'd say you did damn good! And a 6 shot group to boot.

Now you will just have to experiment with different powder charges and bullet weights.

Actually, you'll need to pick up several different brands of primers to experiment with as well as find which gives you the best accuracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default ammo

congrats on your new m/l as far as loads go 777 and barnes spitfire tmz boattailed sabots are the way to go you can get 1 in groups at 100 yrds with them np . power belts hit hard but are as accurate as a shotgun slug i shoot 100 grain triple 7 and 250 grain barnes spitfires and can shoot beyond 150 yrds with them np. but average for hunting is 100 yrds or less.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:18 PM

I believe Black Horn powder is a tag better than 777, just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Banned

huntingman, it is but the buckhorn can not shoot it due to the possibility of the bolt being sprung back and the fired primer becoming a projectile and hitting you in the forehead, or worse, an eye.

The plunger style rifles never should be fired with blackhorn209
Old 11-14-2010, 03:52 PM

This is the first that I have ever heard a specific black powder propellant not suitable for a given ML rifle. Maybe that's why I shoot TC rifles? Just kidding folks. I would have to look at a CVA Buckhorn to see what you are saying. Any ML rifle shooting loose powder would be able to shoot Black Horn powder.

FG, I took a look on-line at the Buckhorn model and for the life of me I can't see what you mean. The system looks like any other spring loaded firing system. I see no difference in whatever propellant charge you are firing that the chance you are referring to could happen. Black Horn powder wouldn't be any different. I would need additional information as to why Black Horn powder wouldn't be suitable for any modern muzzleloader. If the manufacture states do not use Black horn powder then follow their advice. The rifle is rated for 150 gr charge, 3 pellets or loose powder??????

Last edited by Hunting Man; 11-14-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned

the buckhorn, knight wolverine, LK93, white rifles and like, use Plunger systems. You just pull straight back on the little cocking lever and thats it. The pressure that blackhorn209 creates, can spit the primer back into your face due to the plunger style systems not being strong enough. It states right on the bottle to use ONLY with an enclosed 209 primer pocket. The rifles i listed above use a slotted plug with a wire retainer. That wire alone can cause some nasty injury.

It has nothing to do with what the rifle is rated for. The breech plug design is what matters.

Correct Breech plug ( primer pocket)

Incorrect slotted breech plug On the LEFT, ( Mostly found on the not recommended Plunger style muzzle loaders) Correct plug on the Right.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Good info FG, Looking at the can it's pretty explicit and easily overlooked (by me). I guess reading the label is a good thing and purchasing a little higher quality products may help for safety reasons too. Thanks for the update!!!! This is a good learning too provided by FG, look at what you are purchasing if you simply save a few more dollars you can upgrage a model or two and be reasonably assured of a quality safe product. I've never had to question the design of the TC rifles and now will look at the other Ml's in the vault for the breach plug configuration. I stand corrected!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 PM

777 actually shows a slight velocity advantage over the Black Horn powder for 100 gr and a 250gr bullet. I find the BH to give me better groups down range than the 777 and seems to be cleaner burning.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Banned

This picture shows another great reason why Blackhorn209 will not work well with a Slotted breech plug.

Most of the primers flame leaks right out and follows the slot in the plug. For those that use scopes on these rifles, If you didnt know the reason to why your scope gets torched at the bottom, You now can see why.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM

happens to my TC Fire Hawk with Musket cap. On a silver scope it needs cleaned every time, makes a mess, probably time to upgrade to 209 TC system.