missed three! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default missed three!

well hunted 4 of the last five days. have seen two bucks and a doe but can not seem to compose myself well enough to take a good shot. Missed all three! Have only been hunting 3 years and this is the first year even seein a deer in the woods. Any suggestions how to help get composed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 03:33 PM
B&C 160 Class

Sounds like you have the hard part wipped. that is seeing the deer and getting a shot. you are going to have to calm down a little, I have heard of buckfever but sheesh, take a breath.

Buy a paper target of a deer and practice placing you shot. When it is time to shoot you need to be focusing on an exact point on the deer to place the bullet. You can't just get deer in the sights and pull the triger. Like he said in the movie Patriot "aim small".

Also think about your form when shooting, aim, steady, slow squeeze on the trigger. If you are forgeting the slow squeeze and pulling to hard it can pull you way off target. Excersize: With the gun unloaded point the gun at your deer target and squeeze the trigger. Watch how easy it is to move the sights or cross hairs off the aim point. practice holding on the aim point while squeezing the trigger.

Don't get discouraged, you are getting closer to getting your deer.

1) Pratice shooting at a picture of a deer.
2) Aim small
3) squeeze the trigger slowly, when the gun fires it should take you by supprise.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
ronn

yes, don't aim at the deer. Aim at the spot on the deer you want the bullet to go. once you decide that's the deer you are going to shoot, don't think about anything but that spot....and of course the safety stuff like back drop and so on.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
B&C 140 Class

get closer...I shot two deer with the muzzleloader this year one was at 4 yards and the other like 10 or so. It is nearly impossible to miss a deer at that distance.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:33 PM
B&C 160 Class

buckshots got it right...you got the equipment...relax..and do it..send us a pic..
Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
B&C 180 Class

sounds like you need more range time
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 PM

The good news is that everything you are experiencing is normal. What others have said is right, you'll have to learn to pick a spot, calm your nerves, by telling yourself this time I'm relaxed and going to do it. Don't jerk the trigger, squeeze through the shot. Concentrate on the shot placement and put the rest of the deer out of your mind. You will do it right. If you weren't nervous I be concerned that you had ice in your viens. After nearly 40 years hunting deer I still get nervous when their in close range and bowhunting. Each time you encounter deer you will get a bit more relaxed, no question about it. Good luck, relax, and enjoy your hunting.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:20 PM
B&C 140 Class

Yup. What everyone said.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 PM

Well said above me.... Dont forget to breathe..

All of our hearts get to pumping when we are watching and considering taking wild game.. Take some deep breathes and calm yourself for the shot..

I have calmed myself for the shot before and then been shaking so bad after the shot from sheer jubilation that im scared to start getting outta my stand.

The more time you spend in the woods watching the deer the more relaxed and accustomed you will become to the experience. The thrill is still there, you just know how to contain it until after the job is done.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Scrub Buck

Aim small ,miss small