Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   MuzzleLoader Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/)
-   -   sighting in my muzzleloader with 4 different bullts (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/2526-sighting-my-muzzleloader-4-different-bullts.html)

KTL 10-02-2008 10:36 PM

sighting in my muzzleloader with 4 different bullts

I finally got a chance to do some shooting with my T/C .50 Omega. I went the rifle range with this in mind, to try numerous bullets and different grain charses to see what shot the best from my gun. I bought a new bullet this year to from Hornady, the FPB 350 grain to try. Also, 250 grain Hornady SST, 245 grain Powerbelts and 250 Shockwave (which I have been shooting for a couple of years). I am using American Pioneer powder instead of pellets. Ever since I had this gun I have had a hard time loading the Shockwave bullets. Yes, I run a wet patch down (presaturated with T/C #13 bore butter) then a dry patch between shots. I talked to the folks at T/C Arms about the problem loading these bullets and they said they have had other customers complain of the same problem. T/C Arms recomended rubbing a little bore butter on the rim of the sabots to ease in loading and said it wouln't effect accuracy. I shot from a benchrest at 50 yards and 100 yards.
Well, the 350 grain Hornady bullets did not load that easy, pushing them down with my ramrod wasn't smooth. There was a hesitatation every 3-5 inches of bullet travel (was the bullet spinning in the rifleling twist) not sure what made the bullet almost drag down the barrel. Also, 5 out of 6 of the bullets polymer tips were stuck in the end of my ramrod after I seated the bullet and pulled the ramrod back out. This bullet now became a hollow point.
The 250 grain Powerbelt were all over the board. I could not get any accuracy out of them.
The 250 grain Shockwave and 250 grain Hornady SST were awesome. The Hornady SST were the easiest to load and a little bore butter on the Shockwaves helped alot. At 50 yards I was able to get a 3 shot group to to darn near look like a 3 leaf clover!!! At 100 yards my groups were the size of a softball. Very satisfied.
I shot 100, 110, and 125 grain and it did not seem to have any effect on accuracy at 50 yards. I ran out of time to try different powder grains at 100 yards so I will be going back to the range.

Rozman62 10-03-2008 08:14 AM

I also shoot the SW-250 in my Omega however I use 2-50gr-777 pellets vs American Pioneer. I have heard from many that the SW250 with 100-110 grains of powder is a sweet combo for Omega's. I have read good and bad press on the American Pioneer powder.

I am currently getting 1.50-1.75 groups at 100 yards. Certainly good enough for hunting however I believe this gun can do better. The Omega is one helluva gun capable of sub moa groupings once you find the bullet/gr recipe. I am going to give Blackhorn powder a try when I shoot up all my pellets.