I've loaded my muzzleloader but no deer in site NOW WHAT? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Scrub Buck

Default I've loaded my muzzleloader but no deer in site NOW WHAT?

Getting ready for my first muzzleloader season in DE. AS we all know it can take days to get the shot your looking for while sitting in a stand. Once loaded how long can a sabbot sit on top of fff before it needs to be fired or cleared?

Last edited by magafike; 10-01-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: information missing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 PM

I have not shot a deer yet w/ mine I have left mine in for a season starts end of Oct./ Beginning of Nov. till mid Dec (that is muzzleloader/Rifle) w/ no problems I know people that have left it for almost a year & fired fine I don't recommend it.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:53 PM
B&C 120 Class

ofdeputy2 made a good post no longer than a year I always shoot my gun after the season is over take it apart and clean it real good. I don't have to worry about that here in TN muzzeloader only last a week. You don't want to have that buck you scouted for all summer and hunted all year. Then your gun won't go off.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 AM
B&C 140 Class

Leaving your BP loaded for a prolonged period of time will cause pitting in your barrel in the area of your powder charge. It does not matter if it is SS or not. Even a small amount of humidity will do it. This is first hand knowledge for I use to do it as well. Furthermore even a small amount of moister will cause a variation in the charge which could cause not necessarily a miss fire but a missed shot at longer ranges. This has happened to me. Fortunately my fresh follow up shot was on its mark. I still leave my round in good weather for a week or so but never longer. It cost me $200 to fix my gun from these practices and I hope to save you the same unnecessary expense. You can by one of those compressed air gizmos that will safely unload your gun without firing it. If you are like me and like your firearms in perfect condition please learn from my mistakes.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for all the imput, I like my guns in perfect condition like B&C with the short muzzleloader seasons in DE I can discharge at the end of each. Thanks again
Old 10-02-2008, 02:35 PM

I may be extreem on this but I discharge my muzzleloader every night and clean then start fresh the next day. Never would I leave a charge in a blackpowder firearm for any length of time.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:45 PM
B&C 100 Class

Hunting Man, couldn't you remove the breech plug and push the bullet out the breech end after each hunt, it would be cheaper.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:51 AM

I shoot flintlocks and would be a bit of problem getting the breach plug off. To do it right you need a padded vice and wrench made for the plug. Shooting patched round balls is not too expensive to discharge.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:10 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
Leaving your BP loaded for a prolonged period of time will cause pitting in your barrel in the area of your powder charge. It does not matter if it is SS or not. Even a small amount of humidity will do it. This is first hand knowledge for I use to do it as well. Furthermore even a small amount of moister will cause a variation in the charge which could cause not necessarily a miss fire but a missed shot at longer ranges. This has happened to me. Fortunately my fresh follow up shot was on its mark. I still leave my round in good weather for a week or so but never longer. It cost me $200 to fix my gun from these practices and I hope to save you the same unnecessary expense. You can by one of those compressed air gizmos that will safely unload your gun without firing it. If you are like me and like your firearms in perfect condition please learn from my mistakes.
I agree, short periods only in dry weather. Wet weather you need to load each hunt.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
Hunting Man, couldn't you remove the breech plug and push the bullet out the breech end after each hunt, it would be cheaper.
You can do this safely if you you soak(wet) the charge before you do it.