Hornady FPB bullets - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 09-18-2008, 07:33 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default Hornady FPB bullets

Anyone shoot the new Hornady FPB bullets yet. These bullets are suppose to load the easiest because they have no jacket. I bought a box yesterday and will shoot them when i get my T/C Omega back from the gunsmith, having a VX-11 Leupold put on. I am going to go back to granulated powder this year (American Pioneer Powder FFG) used Pyrodex last year. These bullets weigh 350 grain, any ideas on ballistics. If I sight in at 100 yards, what might I be at 50 yards and again at 150 yards. Is a heavier bullet better for long range than a 250 grain bullet ( a gunsmith told me this). I will start with 100 grain of powder and work up to maybe 150 grain.

Heres the link to Hornady:
Hornady
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 PM

I haven't used those but wanted to ask you to let us know how it turns out accuracy wise. Thanks
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
B&C 160 Class

You need to spend the time at the range. Easy load is great but accuracy is what puts bucks on the ground. Range time with your gun , your load is the only way to answer your question. Not blunt just honest.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:37 AM
B&C 120 Class

I will take a bullet that is more difficult to load any day of the week. It is more accurate than undersized bullets. The tight sabot prevents any blow by which causes erratic bullet movement creating potential accuracy issues. These tight fitting bullets are a pain when at the range in practice mode or sighting in. A consistent cleaning process between shots is a must to maintaining accuracy. IMO in a hunting situation the follow up shot, if necessary, is not a factor.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:23 PM
B&C 160 Class

I am not familiar with the FPB but I do use a Hornaday 300 XTP that is awsome. The heavier bullets are the way to go IMHO. I wonder if the FTB isn't designed to seal the gas on the shot.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 PM
B&C 120 Class

Yes Buckshot, The FPB bullets have a copper coating on them that expand to seal in the gas when shot. I thought I would try them because the T/C shockwave bullets I currently shoot are so hard to load. Yes. I do know that the harder to load the more accurate the shot. I talked with T/C arms and they have had problems with the shockwave bullets in the the T/C Omega. They recommened using a little bit of bore butter on the rim of the jacket to ease in loading. My brother-n-law has same gun and has no problem loading the same bullet. I will let you all know what I think about thse new Hornady bullets next week.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Hornady FPB Bullets

I will be heading to the range again this year with my Omega 50 caliber, 250 BDC Nikon Scope and new Hornady 350 grain bullets. The range goes only to 100 yards, which I really want to test this bullet at 200 yards. I will start at 100 grains of powder and go from there as well. Let you know what happens.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM
B&C 160 Class

350 grains?! Holy buffalo at 200yards and 100 grains of powder it is going to drop like a rock.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
Anyone shoot the new Hornady FPB bullets yet. These bullets are suppose to load the easiest because they have no jacket. I bought a box yesterday and will shoot them when i get my T/C Omega back from the gunsmith, having a VX-11 Leupold put on. I am going to go back to granulated powder this year (American Pioneer Powder FFG) used Pyrodex last year. These bullets weigh 350 grain, any ideas on ballistics. If I sight in at 100 yards, what might I be at 50 yards and again at 150 yards. Is a heavier bullet better for long range than a 250 grain bullet ( a gunsmith told me this). I will start with 100 grain of powder and work up to maybe 150 grain.

Heres the link to Hornady:
Hornady
I shot them a couple days ago with my pro hunter tc and i cant believe the group at a 100 yds 5 shots within a 1 inch group paper hole to paper hole and they got rid of the plastic as far as im concerned now best on the market for ft pd and velocity cant wait see penetration on a deer
Old 11-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketoplayto View Post
I shot them a couple days ago with my pro hunter tc and i cant believe the group at a 100 yds 5 shots within a 1 inch group paper hole to paper hole and they got rid of the plastic as far as im concerned now best on the market for ft pd and velocity cant wait see penetration on a deer
I forgot to mention no swabbing between shots and yes easy to load loads better then the power belt and no build up ram rod seated same spot all 5 shots