Hornady FPB bullets - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Scrub Buck

Smile

ok i shot again on friday this time i shot 7 of the new hornady bullets with my tc pro hunter at 100 yds all 7 grouped under one and half inches and no build up and they all loaded the same right down to no build up on ram rod seeting i was truly amazed im anxious to try them out on a deer i hope they work like they say they do if thats case id say hornady made the perfect muzzeloader bullet NO MORE PLASTIC .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 AM
B&C 160 Class

You can't ask for any better than that. I am going to check into them myself. Thanks for the report.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
B&C 140 Class

Well if they are that heavy and that accurate I think the only thing that could put a buck down harder is a Louisville Slugger---Maybe. I like to tinker with BP guns so during the off season I'll try them out.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

Liketoplayto,
I went to the range a couple of weeks ago and shot the 350 grain hornady bullets. They loaded good and were accurate. But, 5 out the 6 bullets i shot didnt have the red polymer tips on them when I pulled the ramrod out. The polymer tips were in the end of the ramrod!!! They now become almost like a hollow point. I switched to 250 grain Hornady bullet with plastic jacket and was able to group just the same if not better at 100 yards.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Scrub Buck

I've shot 15 of them and never had the tip come off. 3" groups at 100yds. My rod has a cupped end. Dropped a 10 pt with a T/C system 1 and 100gr 777.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 AM
Scrub Buck

I bagan using the Hornady FPB projectiles this season. I shoot a Traditions Buckskinner sidelock scoped rifle, which I have owned for approximately 15 years. It has served me well, but has always been a bear to load. On reloading after first shot it has not been uncommon for me to have to ram the ramrod against a tree to seat the bullet. This goes for sabots, minnie balls, and the plastic skirted bullets that are so popular. The original fiberglas ramrod was replaced with a steel one because of this loading problem. The Hornadys are a breeze to load and are also very accurate and hard hitting. I have fired more than five consecutive shots without once wiping the bore and every FPB has loaded easily. I believe I will be able to go back to the fiberglas ramrod with these projectiles.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:45 AM

I sure don't have any of these problems with a flint gun. Just pour in the powder start a patched round ball seat it and prime the pan. I know old fashion but it works and the guns are accurate out to 80 yds. I still feed my TC firehawk 100 grs of 2f powder and a TC maxi hunter hollow point. With the 3x9 scope this will group 1.5" at 100 yds off sand bags. I would like to replace the firehawk with a newer TC model. Maybe for next year.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Scrub Buck

So how do they open up? I was going to go with them, but I thought they were a bit bulky and ended up going with Shockwaves. I am a big Hornady ammo fan, but I just though that these were a bit too big, and didn't know how accurate they would be past 100 yards, seems like they would start to drop quite a bit. Did they open up well when it hit the deer Huntermike? Were you able to find the round or did it blow through?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 PM
B&C 100 Class

Google Hornaday FPB, pretty cool video on these bullets
Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Scrub Buck

That video is pretty cool. They seem to open up well. I just wonder how well they do on accuracy past 100 yards. I bet they start to drop like a rock. Lol I might try them next year though, they seem pretty nice, I just don't know if I like the size of them.