What happened? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 AM
B&C 180 Class

welcome to the site.are you using a scope?maybe it or the sights got banged up without you noticing it.i never clean between shots till after 6.try the new powder and get back to us
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
welcome to the site.are you using a scope?maybe it or the sights got banged up without you noticing it.i never clean between shots till after 6.try the new powder and get back to us
Yup, using the Nikon 3x9 that T/C kinda recommends for their Triumph model. Since the gun doesn't group I figured something was loose. I just assumed if the scope took a whack it should at least group where it was knocked off but one never knows! I will start with the new powder and if that doesn't straighten things out I will try cleaning less and try some other suggestions mentioned. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 AM

If as you stated your shots are 6' (6" ??) off at times something is drastically wrong. You have a 209 primer with 2-50gr pellets followed by a bullet/sabot combination seated the same eact time? I would swap scopes borrow one if possible or purchase a 39.99 bushnell mount it and try to sight in using new pellets primers and the same bullets as last year. Start at 25 yds with a 3X3 sheet of cardboard. If you can't get the gun to sight-in send it back and explain the problem to TC and the timetable you need it back for. If the gun does sight-in with another scope send the Nikon in for repairs. This is the second problem with triumph/Nikon combinations, maybe a trend starting.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
If as you stated your shots are 6' (6" ??) off at times something is drastically wrong. You have a 209 primer with 2-50gr pellets followed by a bullet/sabot combination seated the same eact time? I would swap scopes borrow one if possible or purchase a 39.99 bushnell mount it and try to sight in using new pellets primers and the same bullets as last year. Start at 25 yds with a 3X3 sheet of cardboard. If you can't get the gun to sight-in send it back and explain the problem to TC and the timetable you need it back for. If the gun does sight-in with another scope send the Nikon in for repairs. This is the second problem with triumph/Nikon combinations, maybe a trend starting.
Wow, my bad! In my opening thread I screwed up big time and you caught it. I meant 6" not 6'. Anyway, 6" to the left and 6" to the right and you have a foot wide P.O.I. zone. At this rate I'm hitting paper plates at 100 yards but barely......not good enough for me. I will work or my seating/cleaning and try new powder and then try a different scope if everything else fails.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 AM
B&C 160 Class

As Ron stated I'll bet it is the powder. I once had the same problem. You really once opening the box need to reseal them in a vacuum sealer bag with one of those moister bags in with them. Also check the sabots. It is well known in the industry that there is sometimes a consistency problem with some manufacturers. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

I shoot the same loads from my Omega. Work out the variables. Here are my polly pointers. A new muzzleloading takes around 60 -75 shots to get broken in before you start seeing consistent groups.

1. Ensure your primers are designed for in lines and not the std Winchester shotgun 209 primers (bluebox). These primers are to powerful for in lines and cause inconsistent burn rates.

2. Be careful when seating the bullet on the pellets. You may be crunching them. Push the bullet down and just lean into the ram rod a little with your weight to seat the bullet against the charge. Don't smash it down like a piston. If you haven't done so buy the handle accessory that screws on the end of the 10/32 threads. Use a spin jag to load as it will align the sabot to your rifling.

3. Keep your pellets dry. They are extremely hydroscopic Any moisture will make them shoot different.

4. Cleaning: Be consistent. 2-3 wet patches between each shot then use the retriever from max muzzloading to get the plastic out of the rifling and follow up with a dry patch or 2.

5. Try changing to T7 powder (90-120 gr) for increased accuracy. 2-50 gr pellets may not be the sweet spot on your Triumph. There is alot of variation within the same box of pellets. You get what you get in a box of pellets

6. Reference the 2 websites below for additional info. Buy Russell Lynch's video's if you are truly on a quest for muzzleloader accuracy.
MAX: Muzzleloader Accuracy Xperts
SpinJag - The 2-in-1 Jag For Muzzleloaders
Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Scrub Buck

Well, looks like you fellows helped me get on to something. I tried a new box of Triple Seven today along with not "over cleaning" and trying to seat the sabot and lead differently. At 100 yds, the first shot was low and left by 2" the next 2 shots were high and left by 1.5". The cool part was the last 2 were touching each other. Thinking (and hoping) the gun was starting to group I adjusted the scope and the next shot centered the bull. I had one bullet left and shot that and it was 1.5" low and left but still touching the black bull. I am using Winchester shotgun primers and I will get some inline primers along with more lead and get back to the range to fine tune. Thing are sure looking up thanks to everyone's help. Stay tuned.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM
ronn

that change could be from all the other little tweaks you did. sounds like your back on track. either vacum seal it each year or just get new stuff and shoot up the old.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
that change could be from all the other little tweaks you did. sounds like your back on track. either vacum seal it each year or just get new stuff and shoot up the old.
I'll definitely take that into consideration for end of season and next. For now, I still want to keep tweaking now to find the "sweet spot" on this gun before hunting season.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 PM

good to see things back to more normal. As stated just fine tuning now with consistant loadings. That 6' did scare me!