Working up a load - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Working up a load

I'm new to muzzleloading. My wife bought me a .50 cal. Traditions Pennsylvania rifle (round ball). Can anyone who hunts with primitive muzzleloaders give me some tips on working up a good hunting load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 05:41 AM
B&C 180 Class

Hunting man is our resident round baller he should be able to hep ya
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 07-28-2008, 06:07 AM
ronn

he's on vaca for a couple weeks but i'm sure he'll be able to help.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 PM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Kgin View Post
I'm new to muzzleloading. My wife bought me a .50 cal. Traditions Pennsylvania rifle (round ball). Can anyone who hunts with primitive muzzleloaders give me some tips on working up a good hunting load.
That is a really nice looking gun. Congrats!

The first thing you want to do is get real familiar with the owners manual cover to cover. I would start out shooting 60 grains of 2F with a .490 ball and a greased patch. From a stable rest take three shots at a 40 yard target or closer if the sites are way off. Step up 10 grains to 70 and three more shots and so on up to 80 or 90. You could probably go up to 100gr but I wouldn't you don't really gain anything after a certain point, although with that long barrel you may get the extra burn time on the powder. My bet is you will hunt with 90gr or less. It will take a lot of shooting and cleaning to find that just right load you want to hunt with but that's half the fun.

If you use Black powder be ready to clean the rifle after every set even if it is just a spit patch. There are several good propelent choices out there which are a whole lot easier to clean up. You may want to keep it old time and use a ball and black powder. If not I would check out 80 to 90gr of Pyrodex powder and a prelubed conical like the buffalo balls for hunting, no patch required.

Be safe.

Last edited by Buckshot; 07-28-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
ronn

I really can't get black powder any more. something to do with shipping and insurance. pyrodex or 777 only in lose. and you can't use pellets.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

No one sells that stuff local Ron? I use triple F ..... 70gr for a .45 caliber. But I shoot round balls. I think my son shoots double F?? maybe thats right, in a .50 caliber. He's a ball guy too. Other than that I don't have a clue. I don't have any experience with the modern stuff......
Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
ronn

nope, not black powder. something to do with shipping and the added cost due to insurance. So my local gun shop doesn't have it. they have 777 and pryodex both in lose form and pellet.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
B&C 180 Class

ya know ronn i had a guy at a mom and pop gun store tell me the same thing.he told me to go to gander MT.something to do with UPS and Fed Ex
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 AM
B&C 160 Class

I think it has everything to do with the tight controls put on black powder as far as not just shipping it but storing it securely post 911. To much paperwork and hassle for most to keep it.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Thanks

Thanks Buckshot,
I'll lgive it a try this week.. Just checked my trail camera this morning. Got three bucks on one shot. A young fork, one pretty good eight pt. and a NICE 10 pt. All on the back end of my ranch. I'd sure like to see the big guy in person. Thanks, again.