Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   MuzzleLoader Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/)
-   -   Working up a load (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/2133-working-up-load.html)

Rockin Kgin 07-27-2008 09:52 PM

Working up a load

I'm new to muzzleloading. My wife bought me a .50 cal. Traditions Pennsylvania rifle (round ball). Can anyone who hunts with primitive muzzleloaders give me some tips on working up a good hunting load.

joel the signman 07-28-2008 05:41 AM

Hunting man is our resident round baller he should be able to hep ya:wink:

ronn 07-28-2008 06:07 AM

he's on vaca for a couple weeks but i'm sure he'll be able to help.

Buckshot 07-28-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Kgin (Post 15145)
I'm new to muzzleloading. My wife bought me a .50 cal. Traditions Pennsylvania rifle (round ball). Can anyone who hunts with primitive muzzleloaders give me some tips on working up a good hunting load.

That is a really nice looking gun. Congrats!

The first thing you want to do is get real familiar with the owners manual cover to cover. I would start out shooting 60 grains of 2F with a .490 ball and a greased patch. From a stable rest take three shots at a 40 yard target or closer if the sites are way off. Step up 10 grains to 70 and three more shots and so on up to 80 or 90. You could probably go up to 100gr but I wouldn't you don't really gain anything after a certain point, although with that long barrel you may get the extra burn time on the powder. My bet is you will hunt with 90gr or less. It will take a lot of shooting and cleaning to find that just right load you want to hunt with but that's half the fun.

If you use Black powder be ready to clean the rifle after every set even if it is just a spit patch. There are several good propelent choices out there which are a whole lot easier to clean up. You may want to keep it old time and use a ball and black powder. If not I would check out 80 to 90gr of Pyrodex powder and a prelubed conical like the buffalo balls for hunting, no patch required.

Be safe.

ronn 07-28-2008 03:37 PM

I really can't get black powder any more. something to do with shipping and insurance. pyrodex or 777 only in lose. and you can't use pellets.

Southern Man 07-28-2008 03:55 PM

No one sells that stuff local Ron? I use triple F ..... 70gr for a .45 caliber. But I shoot round balls. I think my son shoots double F?? maybe thats right, in a .50 caliber. He's a ball guy too. Other than that I don't have a clue. I don't have any experience with the modern stuff......

ronn 07-28-2008 04:46 PM

nope, not black powder. something to do with shipping and the added cost due to insurance. So my local gun shop doesn't have it. they have 777 and pryodex both in lose form and pellet.

joel the signman 07-28-2008 08:46 PM

ya know ronn i had a guy at a mom and pop gun store tell me the same thing.he told me to go to gander MT.something to do with UPS and Fed Ex

Buckshot 07-29-2008 08:26 AM

I think it has everything to do with the tight controls put on black powder as far as not just shipping it but storing it securely post 911. To much paperwork and hassle for most to keep it.

Rockin Kgin 08-06-2008 09:27 PM

Thanks

Thanks Buckshot,
I'll lgive it a try this week.. Just checked my trail camera this morning. Got three bucks on one shot. A young fork, one pretty good eight pt. and a NICE 10 pt. All on the back end of my ranch. I'd sure like to see the big guy in person. Thanks, again.
:smile: