Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   MuzzleLoader Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/)
-   -   how much abuse can a scope take (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/2084-how-much-abuse-can-scope-take.html)

quadmaster22 07-19-2008 08:38 PM

hows much abuse can a scope take

i got a t/c triumph and nikon scope and i dropped it from about 4.5 feet do u think it would screw my scope up besides the fact that i would have to resight it in??

Hunting Man 07-19-2008 08:56 PM

The trouble sighting in and how the gun fell most likely threw the scope off. Make sure that the reticles are intact. How far off are each shot and is there any pattern to the shot string, all left, right, low ect. If you have a pattern then just adjust the scope to the bullseye. If the pattern is all over the place you may have loose scope rings/mounts and if it were me I'd remove the scope and mounts and reset using a mild setting thread sealant on the screws. Then re-sight the gun in. If that doesn't work then either damage to the barrel and or internal damage to the scope must have occured and would require sending them back for repair/replacement. If your not comfortable doing the work a gun shop can do it and should not cost a fortune to do. Hope this helps, good luck that's a nice package you got there!

quadmaster22 07-19-2008 09:03 PM

hey

the first one wit the sighting in thing was before i dropped it i had it at the range and then when got home it dropped on to carpet do u think that would have any damage to it ??

Hunting Man 07-19-2008 09:08 PM

If if fell on the scope directly maybe, but because it wouldn't sight in in the first place I think you have something loose on the scope. Check every screw if loose try to tighten each one the same. Just make sure all your loading sequences are the same, same power& charge, same bullet same seating of the bullet ect. The only other thing I can think of your rifle doesn't like the bullet your trying. It would be worth the cost to try something different. There should be someone here thats shooting a t/c like yours to help in that area.

BruceBruce1959 07-20-2008 06:48 AM

Send the scope back to Nikon, let them check it out for you.
P.S. hurry up and send it before hunting season rolls around.

quadmaster22 07-20-2008 01:15 PM

how do u tell if the reticles are intact like when i look through the scope it look fine but is there some way to see if the reticles are not intact that i dont know of??

Hunting Man 07-20-2008 01:21 PM

they would be broken, hanging. If they look perpendicular to one another they're probably fine.

quadmaster22 07-20-2008 01:53 PM

thanks for the help

so if they are perpindicular then the scope probally aint broken and just need to be resighted in right?

ronn 07-20-2008 03:20 PM

just something to think about. but a lot of scopes are gas filled to prevent fogging and help with clarity. If by some quirk a seal let the gas out you may end up with fogging. I think if you are looking for a 100% guarantee that its not broken, and that's something a hunter should know, send it back to Nikon. just my opinion.

quadmaster22 07-20-2008 03:28 PM

thanks

but if i take it out shooting this friday and it shoots fine then that a forsure way to know it aint broken instead of sending it to nikon and taking 2 months to get it back do u think that is right or there still a chance of something wrong wit it ??