how much abuse can a scope take - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 07-20-2008, 03:38 PM

I've had my scope get out of wack from being in a gunboot on my 4 wheeler and I do recall having some bone jarring jolts as I was riding so I don't know if I could compare it to a drop but I needed to resight and it is back to what it was "dead on".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 04:10 PM
ronn

There are 2 choices here. 1) take it out re-sight it in. If it takes, you're are part way there. Then take it out in the rain and cooler temps and see if it fogs up. Or 2) send it back to Nikon. I don't think any one here is going to go out on a limb and tell you it is good to go with out checking things out for themselves. if they did and it fogged up that one time when big boy steps out in front of you, it could make you go that guy said it was good. You need to have the personal confidence in your equipment in order to be the best hunter you can be. That's "personal confidence", yours and yours alone. You need to do whatever it takes to get that confidence. Be it, shoot it a ton in the cold and rain or send it out. That's about the best advise I can give you on this.

Last edited by ronn; 07-20-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaster22 View Post
but if i take it out shooting this friday and it shoots fine then that a forsure way to know it aint broken instead of sending it to nikon and taking 2 months to get it back do u think that is right or there still a chance of something wrong wit it ??
If you already had problems trying to Zero it in and wasn't able to, and if you dropped it from about 4.5 feet I would say send it back to Nikon, it shouldn't take any more than a couple weeks to get it back, That's what I would do, then you would know the scope is well tuned and working properly when you do try to sight it in.
OR
Maybe you should give Nikon a call and talk with Customer service, just ask them how long it will take to get it back after they recieve it, you can call them at...

Nikon Film & Sport Optics Technical Support
6am-4pm PST Monday-Friday
1-800-645-6687

Either way, Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default thanks

hey bruce thanks alot for the information i think i will just sned it back and see what they say and i will for sure let u guys know what they say thanks alot for the number and information
Old 07-21-2008, 08:05 AM

You're welcome and I'm glad you decided to send it back to let them check it out,
it's better to do it that way than to take it out and shoot it not knowing if it's damged
only to have bullets flying every which way.
Good Luck

Old 07-21-2008, 12:57 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default thats for sure

yah i just sent it back they said i should have it back to me withing 2 weeks so plenty of time before huntin season
Old 07-21-2008, 02:18 PM
B&C 180 Class

this is a good time to try out your iron sights and the loads in your gun to see if everything else is ship shape
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM
ronn

most of those co will just send you a new scope. its not really cost effective to spend much time trying to fix one. I had a couple go south on me and thats want they did.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 PM

joel thats a good post to see if all else is good! Hopefully the scope issue will resolve the problem.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default that neat

really ronn they have just sent u a new scope cause ive only had it for not even a month and iam gonna get the tru optics site to sighted in while iam waiting for my scope to come back or start getting ready for rifle season this is the best forum ive been on and thanks alot for everyones help iam very grateful