Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   MuzzleLoader Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/)
-   -   Newbie Muzzleloading Questions (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/2032-newbie-muzzleloading-questions.html)

GARRETT J 07-06-2008 09:23 PM

Newbie Muzzleloading Questions

I just started to deer/bow hunt last year. No monsters, but being on my own Im pretty happy with the results. This year Id like to give muzzleloading a try. Im thinking of getting the T/C Omega and Nikon Omega scope with BDC. But Ive got a few concerns about these two items.
Im not sure if I like the pivioting triggergaurd on the T/C Omega. Has anyone had any problems with this before?
With the scope its more of a realistic shot concern. I know that a newbie isnt going to be able to pop a deer at 200+yards without a lot of practice. Is that kind of shot realistic with a muzzleloader? Ive been told yes and no. I know that the scope was pretty much designed using the Omega M/L.
I could spend a $100 less and still get a decent scope.

Thanks

joel the signman 07-06-2008 10:48 PM

i have acva wolf and the pivot handle is by the trigger so far no problems.a scope will help and with a lot of practice you may be able to make 200yrd shots but i wouldnt recomend it .most shots are under 100yrds it depends on where and how you hunt.

Hunting Man 07-07-2008 12:00 AM

I'm a big TC fan (own 2) and with a Nikon scope you would have a great package. I will differ slightly on range as this combo would shoot out to 200+yds with the right bullet and your practice. I know there is a Savage model very cappable of going out farther but I don't have any first hand knowledge on that rifle. Every year seems to bring out rifles that expand the kill distance for muzzleloaders. I also believe that in guns generally you get what you pay for. You have picked out two very good quality products that would serve you well for a long time.

ronn 07-07-2008 09:39 AM

i think HM hit the nail on the head.

Kirrmeister 07-07-2008 02:42 PM

Hi Garret;

I have a CVA buckhorn inlne ML with a 1,5-6x40 scope with red dot. I'm using bp and sabots from Hornady. The accuracy of this combo is outstanding. No problem to take game up to 150 meters. There isn't much difference to shooting with a cartridge gun.

Regards

Kirrmeister

KTL 08-12-2008 06:56 PM

I have been shooting my T/C Omega for 4 years and haven't had any problems with the pivoting trigger gaurd. The trigger gaurd is quality built and easy to disesemble if need be to clean. Also, the trigger guard is weather tight on the breech so I can confidently say I have not had any misfires. The Nikon is a nice looking scope,thought about buying one for my Omega. Decided to go with a Leupold VX2, only because I wasnt so sure about BDC dots blurring up what I was looking at. And, a good range finder would be helpful ranging a deer to know what dot to use. For me personally, I would rather practice alot shooting to be able to judge distances and know how high to aim with my Leupold. Just my opinion, never said I was a world class hunter,just have a BLAST being out there!!!!

Hunting Man 08-12-2008 08:39 PM

Most here know my high regard for TC products. Installing a quality scope completes the perfect package. My next muzzleloader will be purchased for longer range shots with high quality scope.

Rozman62 08-13-2008 02:28 PM

Garrett - Depending on the bullet choice and right load you can site in 3" high at 100 yards and hit 3" low at 200 yards. One bullet co is QT Bullets that claim there light bullets (200-235 gr) can achieve this. You can get deer that far out but I personally would not shoot that far. For the most part the areas I hunt do not offer these yardages. I did once take a 7 pointer at 140 yards in a field with the Omega so they can reach out there.

hoodlum38261 08-14-2008 02:03 AM

I own a CVA Wolf. I haven't had any problems with the pivot either. I also use the 777 pellets. They seem to work great. With the Hornady sabots. But all my shots have been under 75 yards.

bbairborne 08-25-2008 07:28 PM

TC Omega for me. Can't go wrong in my opinion.