Deer Hunting Forums banner

Illness

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  3212 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I have to finally admit that I need professional intervention help. The illness is: collecting without need, common sense, maybe even a hoarder not sure yet. Every time I see a firearm I like well I got to have it. I'm sure many of you have come down with this affliction so I was looking for advice on how to fight the disease. :lol:

Today, I won an auction for a standard production Lyman 54 cal flint trade rifle. I've never seen a nicer walnut standard production stock on a Lyman like this one. The vertical figure is really super. Rifle looks new and I will use it in PA for late season. This one will see service and not be a safe queen. Oh, the price was very attractive compared to a new purchase and most of you know how much I enjoy black powder shooting. So the illness continues unabated at least until the money runs out.:rolleyes:

See less See more
#3 ·
GFD2 these are not very expensive rifles but I enjoy nice walnut stocks and being a flintlock it will see some action. Usually the Lymans have straight grained walnut with little figure, this one just looked good and I had an open spot for it. Years ago I had a Lyman great plains in flint but sold it.

#8 ·
54 flinter arrived as stated in very nice condition. I've installed a TC peep on it and now will locate a front globe sight for it. This set-up gives my eyes the best chance for good open sight hunting. I'm going to order ball-ets for both the 50 and 54 flinters as these are legal in PA flintlock season. My TC PA hunter with a 1-66 barrel twist shoots these bullets way better than a round ball so the 1-48" twist of the Lyman should shoot them or possibly another style conical like a Lyman real bullet or a TC maxi hunter, Buffalo bullet also. Range time and some cost involved to get all the ML stuff together to get things sighted in is in store. I've never had a reason to sight in a rear peep gun and have heard they can be a challenge to get right?? Both rifles will shoot black powder.
Here's a question: I have an un-fired Austin Halleck 50 cal mountain rifle and would like to shoot it. Shooting it will reduce the value some but we're talking 600.00 top value. I know, what good is it sitting in the vault, just curious what you'all think about the subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.