Corrosion protectiion. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 03-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Corrosion protectiion.

Hello All, new here.

I have a 60 caliber Trades Rifle, but I haven't shot it yet. I want to do everything right.

The last thing I need to know before I shoot it is, How do I clean and protect the bore after shooting? I've scoured the Internet and found conflicting methods.

I'll be using Pyrodex.

How should I clean the bore before shooting, how should I prep the bore between shots, and how do I treat the bore before storage of up to a year?

Thanks, guys.

Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 08:04 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
How should I clean the bore before shooting
Before shooting the first round swab the bore with an alcohol patch to remove the oil. Following the alcohol patch swab with a couple dry patches.

Quote:
how should I prep the bore between shots,
Most folks swab between shots. Swab with a wet patch followed by a couple dry patches.

Quote:
and how do I treat the bore before storage of up to a year?
The residue of Pyrodex is very corrosive. Make the bore squeaky clean and dry. Then swab the bore with a patch wet with any good gun oil.

Good luck with your muzzleloader shooting.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM
B&C 140 Class

I personally do not wipe between shots , but I only use it for hunting. Even when I pull it out to shoot to make sure it's still on, I might shoot 4 shots and I have no problems with my next shot. I think any more and I would wipe maybe every five shots or so. If your hunting and actually can get a second shot, your not going to wipe before a reload.
As far as cleaning for storage, I'm still a firm believe in bore butter for all my smoke poles even my newer inline, I use a wet patches to clean, then dry patch, once all clean I swab it with bore butter and even wipe the out side of the gun down with it.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:22 PM

I use the TC wet cleaning patches running a several through until they come out clean. Next run dry patches a couple of times followed by Saturated patch with Rem oil for storage. For bench shooting I usually just run a 50 cal bronze brush every 5-6 shot and ready to shoot another 5-6 shots.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Scrub Buck

After I clean my rifle I run a patch with Barricade Lube down the bore and wipe the whole rifle down with it. When I get ready to shoot I run a patch with alcohol down the bore to remove the barricade.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Black powder replacement called `clean shot`

I do not own or shoot black powder but a shooting buddy did. He fired in his black powder guns a powder called `clean shot`. It was a synthedic black powder replacement that was much cleaner and non corrosive unlike pyrodex. He said that it was solid rocket propellant ground up. I think the same company supplied this to the company that reloaded the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Boosters.

Karl