Deer Hunting Forums banner

Nuthin' Doin'

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  turner 
#1 ·
Well, except for some decent weather, the early Kentucky M/L season was pretty much a bust for our group. Opening morning was cool & cloudy and then rainy & windy by about 8:30. No deer seen on our lease with three hunters hunting. The afternoon cleared up and had a cold front moving in. But, alas, still no deer seen by two hunters. Down to about 44* by 6:30 PM.

Sunday morning had our first frost of the season and nice calm winds. Very pretty morning to be in the woods an hour before sunrise, but by 3 hours after SR, still not a single deer seen by me. Two others also hunting saw two does. Far as I know, no one hunted yesterday PM. Through one full day plus a half day a total of one shot was heard in the vicinity, pretty unusual! Hard to know for sure if that brilliant full moon, out from 30 mins after SS to almost SR caused most all movement to occur at night. I think such a moon phase makes a lot more difference in deer movement outside of the rut.

Nice to see our first frost of the season and perhaps three more frosts predicted later this week. More than likely, none of our group will do any bow hunting prior to rifle season opening on 9 November. Not really an untypical early M/L season for us as we don't normally see any rutting activity until 1 November with peak chasing & roaming happening around 10-20 November here. We didn't see a single fresh rub in the woods, but I'm sure they will pop up in all the familiar places in another week to ten days. Same with scrapes.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.