Researching a black powder rifle - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Researching a black powder rifle

Hey All,
I've decided to invest in a black powder rifle but want to do some research before purchasing and have no experience with them whatsoever. I realize everyone has their preferences and druthers, but what I am looking for is a rifle that is simple enough for a beginner (to black powder) but equipped enough to grow into as I gain experience. I would appreciate all recommendations and advice, not just on the gun, but everything dealing with black powder rifles as well as what rifles to stay away from and what not to do. Thanks in advance for anyone that is willing to help out with a post.

Ted
Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Scrub Buck

I love my TC Encore so much I haven't picked up any of my other guns unless we are doing a drive. The thing is a tack driver a 150 yrds. I took a 10pt this year on the move at just under 250 yrds. These thing are deadly. My cousin swears by his knight. they've got a great trigger, it's real smooth, but so's my Encore. I shoot Power belt bullets, they're a little more expensive but are much cleaner to shoot than any of the others. When I say cleaner, I mean the residue the wadding leaves in your barrel. They also pack alot easier and if you need a 2nd shot fast these let you do it. Moisture is something you need to watch. I had a 2 1/2 yr old 8pt this year at 30yrds. moisture got in to my breech and my powder was trashed. I had no idea untill I heard the primer ignite and nothing happened. Since then I've bought a breech cover and make sure that i tape the end of my barrel so nothing gets in that way either. Don't worry the tape won't hinder your accurecy. Alot of guys I know shot 150 grains of powder, great for elk but you don't need all that for deer. I use 100 grains triple 7. It shoots alot flater and has more than enough knock down power.

Last edited by bigcnybucks; 01-09-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:54 PM
B&C 180 Class

all good points.i prefer a break action 209i went low budget.cva wolf with everything and a scope it was 180$ i thinkall i needed was powder i use pryodex pellets in 50 grain size i shot a 245 greenpowerbelt and 100 grains with a 209 primer .The cva is a good low budget rifle .those TC are real nice though no argument there
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-09-2008, 11:19 PM

I am a T/C dude myself. Just bought the triumph last year. Very easy to clean and work with. Very few moving parts. I use the the shockwave or hornady bullets. They are tougher to load but I think they shoot more consistent groups. A T/C is more expensive than the CVA though.

I use to have a Knight and it also was an accurate gun. Just a pain to clean.

As far as tips on ML. Clean, clean, clean... and make sure you seat the bullet in the same place each time.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Scrub Buck

These guy have the right idea. There are a lot of great muzzleloaders out there. One of the key things you need to look at is "How easy is it to clean?". This will greatly affect your enjoyment of the firearm. I don't believe anyone has mentioned the CVA Optima. I have shot ragged holes at 100yd. with one. It is a great gun for the money($250) if you don't mind the blocky feel. I currently shoot a TC Encore and love it.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM

I shoot a Traditions Pursuit LT .50 Cal.
I love everything about this muzzleloader It's Extremely accurate, I'm shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yards and it takes me all of 5 minutes to fully clean it..

Here's some info about my Muzzleloader..

BREAK-OPEN ACTION The break-open action allows you to prime the muzzleloader quickly and easily. The LT frame is made from durable alloy that will withstand rust and corrosion and makes it one of the lightest carrying muzzleloaders in the field today. The exposed hammer includes a hammer spur that can be used with both right hand and left hand shooters to allow you to cock the gun with a scope mounted. The break-open action also provides you with a super tight seal allowing a positive 209 shotgun primer ignition even in foul weather.

ACCURACY All of our muzzleloader barrels are made to shoot the same way - dead on. Our LTB style bullets are one of the most accurate and dependable saboted bullets in the market today. We have been constantly achieving over 1000 ft./lbs. of energy at 200 yards and under 1" groups at 100 yards.

DSS (Double Safety System) The Pursuit series of muzzleloaders incorporates 2 safeties to make them one of the safest muzzleloaders available. A cross block trigger safety is built into the trigger guard just like a standard rifle or shotgun safety. The second one is built into the hammer that blocks the firing pin from igniting the primer if the trigger has not been pulled.

PAS The PAS (Projectile Alignment System) is one of the secrets why our barrels shoot as good or better than our competitions.. We bore out only 3/8 in the end of the barrel to allow the projectile to be aligned perfectly with the rifling each time the muzzleloader is loaded. Because we only take out 3/8 of rifling in the barrel, this allows our barrels to shoot consistently better with a variety of powder charges and different projectiles.

CLEANING: The time cleaning your muzzleloader is reduced by at least 10 minutes when using our quick and easy break-open action. Open the action, remove the breech plug and clean straight through. It's just that simple!

Whichever you decide on, Good Luck and Happy Safe Hunting.