wad or no wad? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default wad or no wad?

So I recently inherited a .45 caliber Lyman plains rifle. It is a percussion gun and shoots loose powder which is new to me. Unfortunately, the former owner is no longer with us to ask any questions regarding powder charges and how he was loading it. My plan is to try both round ball and conicals out of it and to use what works best. I have an idea where to start as far as powder goes but was reading that there should be a wad between the powder and the projectile for better accuracy. (hogdons site) I know that there are quite a few of you out there who are primarily using loose powder and I am looking to hear your thoughts on this method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 PM

Shooting a round ball requires the use of a patch, which comes in many thicknesses. I like TC pre-lubed patches in .010. TC rifles usually have a tight bore. The Lyman may shoot better with a .015-.018 patch? Wads refer to BP shot gunners where you separate the powder and shot with a wad. You should try a conical bullet also with no sabot or patch. Your Lyman is probably rifled in a slow twist for a patched round ball. It might shoot a conical ok, something like a Buffalo bullet or a TC maxi-hunter.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:29 AM
B&C 120 Class

Thanks, HM. I did find some info on the rifling and it is kind of in between a modern BP rifle and a true round ball gun. I do plan on trying both conicals and round ball. Just waiting for the mailman for the round ball...funny I can buy the patches local but not the rounds to go with them. Then its off for some range time to find the best combo. I cannot wait I am so itching to fire that gun.