Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   MuzzleLoader Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/)
-   -   Getting a New Traditions Pursuit Break Open (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/1297-getting-new-traditions-pursuit-break-open.html)

Jamber 12-23-2007 01:24 PM

Getting a New Traditions Pursuit Break Open

Wife got me a new Traditions Pursuit break-open....50cal nickle....being an absolute rookie to ML,for deer hunting, now what do I need....I want a simple scope, bullets, pellets, cleaning items....can you please advise me?

joel the signman 12-23-2007 02:27 PM

welcome to the world of muzzloaders.with it comes a big selection of extras.most new muzzle loaders dont need bore butter,i would pick a nice sabot bullet i prefer powerbelts.your going to need a t handle to push down the bullets and cleaning patches,your also gonna need a bullet starter.then you need to decide if you want loose powder or pellets i use pellets cuz i think its easier.lets see then you need a primer hopefully you got a 209 capable gun then you need speedy loaders for a follow up shot and finally you need patches and a cleaning solvent.good luck.i know its alot but it is a heck of alot of fun.Im sure i left something out and others will suggest different items

BruceBruce1959 12-23-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamber (Post 7627)
Wife got me a new Traditions Pursuit break-open....50cal nickle....being an absolute rookie to ML,for deer hunting, now what do I need....I want a simple scope, bullets, pellets, cleaning items....can you please advise me?

Jamber, Welcome to the Club, Before you get started I'd like you to get together with someone in your area that knows what they are doing with a muzzleloader. do any of your hunting buddies use a Muzzleloader? Do you have someone willing to give you a hand?

Anyway Here's a Traditions starter kit I think you should get, STARTER KIT That Kit doesn't come with powder So you'll need to also get ....
Triple Se7en pellets and lastly 209 Primers.
After that I think you're ready to get started. when you get all you need come back here and we'll give you tips on what to do next, step by step...
Good Luck

Jamber 12-23-2007 04:19 PM

Thanks, I'll order the Starter kit, pellets and primers.......

joel the signman 12-23-2007 07:15 PM

make sure you follow the directions to the letter.muzzleloaders can be dangerous:thumbup:

BruceBruce1959 12-23-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamber (Post 7647)
Thanks, I'll order the Starter kit, pellets and primers.......

That starter kit comes with a Video that will help you understand what's what and has great tips on safety, shooting and cleaning your muzzleloader too...
Good Luck

Jamber 12-25-2007 01:19 PM

Seating Bullet

How do you know when you seat the bullet properly.....I was thinking to mark the ramrod with a black marker before I ever fire the ml for the first time....ideas?

BruceBruce1959 12-25-2007 01:27 PM

That is exactly what you're supposed to do. ALSO mark the ramrod where it's supposed to be after the ML'er is loaded with 2 pellets and the bullet, that way you'll always know if you're loaded (seated) properly.
Good Luck to you.

buckfever 12-25-2007 02:02 PM

Well Jamber I cant add alot to what bruce and joel filled you in on. I am sure it will tell you all about what to do between each shot when your sighting in your gun but in case it doesn't I use a wet patch down the barrell followed by a dry one between each shot. It helps get rid of some of the fouling so you can make a more accurate group. Congrats on your new toy and welcome to the site.

Hunting Man 12-25-2007 10:22 PM

Once you have the basic loading/shooting/cleaning proceedures down pat, the next thing would be to try different bullets to find the one that shoots the best from your rifle. There will always be a combination that your rifle likes you just need to find it. Make sure the bore is dry before you drop the pellets in, and seat the bullet firm but don't crush the pellets. As you shoot more it all becomes automatic. You'll know from feel that you've seated it just right. Also, sight the gun in at 25 yds using a big sheet of cardboard from a good solid rest, I move the sight after two shots as long as I am grouping them together. Once I have the pattern 2" high dead center I then sight in at 100 yds. If you're going to scope it I then set the group 1.5" high for the final set point. After you have finished sighting in I make a permanet knife cut on the ram rod it can't wear off from solvents/cleaning ect. Hope this helps you get started. I am leaving tomorrow to chase the deer with my flintlock in PA. Us old timers still enjoy the true smell of black powder and the spark from real flints.