Interesting Bullet Combo - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Interesting Bullet Combo

I have tried the TC shockwave 250gr bullets with 2-50gr 777 pellets. With a TC Omega I can hold 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards. I have been using the 295gr HP powerbelt with 2 pellets and holding 3" groups at 100 yards. The TC Shockwaves are much more difficult to load but are much more accurate as a result.

Here is an idea. Any muzzleloader is much more accurate after the first shot. Take that first shot prior to muzzleoader opener to prep your barrel for the season. Use the TC shockwave for the first hunting load. If you should require a second shot then go to the Powerbelt as you can load it with your thumb and use your ramrod to send it down. (no bullet starter required for the Powerbelt but is required for the TC Shockwave)

I mention this because I hunt from treestands 95% of the time. It is dang near impossible to try to reload the TC Shockwave 20 ft up. I have tried it and dropped various articles out of the tree. I can load the Powerbelt in half the time. Yes, you may sacrifice a little accuracy but reduce reloading cycle time.

Last edited by buckfever; 12-17-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Your right on the money about the toughness to load a shockwave!! I have yet to shoot at a deer with my muzzleloader this year though so I have not had the oppurtunity to have to reload from a treestand. I have given it some thought though and this is my conclusion. Number 1 just make my first shot count and #2 if for some reason I need another shot my adrenaline will be pumping so much that the shockwave will move down the barrel like butter.

You did some creative thinking rozman. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:07 PM
B&C 180 Class

i only shoot powerbelts .they recomend you fire a 209 primer first to foul the barrel
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 PM
B&C 120 Class

Joel - The recoil from that primer must be killer..huh? Just paying ya back dude.
Seriously give the TC Shockwave a chance. Think of the physic factor here. Any bullet that fits that tight should hold better groupings. Theory or fact..you can decide for yourself however I have seen positive results.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

yeah the kick is a rough one i gotta brace for it the power belt creates a gas lock so there is no blow by therefore it creates a perfect seal.Ill stick to what works for me.not knocking your setup or anything
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Yeah if your setup is working why change it??? I got the same results as rozman on this one though. I could not get my powerbelts to group as well out of my knight or triumph as I could the shockwaves.