Deer Hunting Forums banner

bullet size?

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Rozman62 
#1 ·
i'm new to deer hunting just this yr (and new to this site). a friend let me borrow a cva eclipse inline this year till i can get my own. he said he uses 3, 50 grn pellets with a 295 powerbelt hollowpoint when he hunts. 98% of my shots are going to be 30 yards or less, mostly less, is this to much? what about going with 2, 50 grain pellets and the same slug size? any help would be appreciated, and this is a great site for someone new to deer hunting, all the tips have been great and i've used a lot of them (but no deer yet)

#4 ·
just cuz it holds 150 doesnt meen ya have to shoot 150.when i bought mine i was pumped that it was a magnum.i shoot 150 /265 boy did it kill my shoulder .I started to flinch,which is the worst habit you can pick up.i lowered down to 100/245 and i can shoot all day and put im in the 10 ring at a 100yrds..during the civil war they used a small round lead ball and no more than 80 grains and it killed people dead.:unsure:

#7 ·
I shoot a Remington 700 MZ I found the best load for me is 100 gr pushing a Hornaday 300 XTP mag. I shot the 240 gr for a while but found the heavier bullet performed better. It was more accurate and had better knock down.

Every MZ will be a litlle different I would try different loads and bullet combinations until you get one you like. I agree about using to much powder. I think when you use 150 gr alot of it will get blown out the barrel with igniting anyway.

#8 ·
my cva manual says to not use a magnum load of loose powder but pellets are OK:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.