Deer Hunting Forums banner

Horror Stories

61K views 68 replies 12 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
First of Im new to the forum and still rather new to hunting. Mostly due to a lack of places to hunt. So this is my first real season of busy hunting and I have still yet to claim my first kill so any tip/trick will be greatly appreciated.

With that being said heres my question. I bought a New Frontier Cascade Magnum muzzleloader from Cabelas a season or two ago. Its a rather cheap low end gun but a good gun for someone new to muzzleloaders (so I was told). but lately I have been reading reports about guns similar to this one exploading even when used as directed. any comments? More than one story has envolved the shooter losing a hand, I would be rather upset if this was the event with my first deer in my sights.

thanks all

#2 ·
i would get in touch with the manufactuer and cabelas and ask about the ML and see if there are any recalls.I also would compleatly disassemble and inspect the gun for cracks and wear.If you dont know how to do this bring it to someone who does.no deer is worth dying or being maimed for.Oh yeah welcome to the club:bag:

#3 ·
I have been doing research about this gun and am unable to find anything about it. I can't even find anything on Cabelas where I bought it! Its a BPI-New Frontier Cascade Magnum .50 so if anyone has any info on this id love to have it. I cant find a company website or any info about someone buying that company. I havent shot the gun sence shortly after I bought it because I lost my shooting place, therefor I cant remember what load to use. Anyone know where I can find this info or hapen to have owned this gun?:wallbash:

G
#39 ·
I own a cascade magnum 50 cal. I use 100 gr.Of black powder and a 295 gr. Power belt bullet and have hit bulls eye at 120 yards distance. I have harvested deer from 30 to 75 yards. In the area I have hunted there are lots of trees and the farthest shot and kill I have made is 160 yards during fire arm season. Have not had the opportunity to fire that long range with my 50 cal. But I believe that I won't miss if I get the chance. I hope this helps.

#4 ·
no more than 100 grains .take it to a gunsmith first ill look around for ya

#5 ·
you sure thats the right name.no gun dealers ever heard of it.check the barrell again see whats stamped on it

#9 ·
good work bruce strange i went to cabelas and put in said bp rifle and got nada:confused::unsure::confused::unsure:

#15 · (Edited)
Kind of Ironic but the Traditions Muzzleloader is leading the industry with their innovation and design not to mention that Tradition Pursuit has the DSS safety system which makes it one of the Safest Muzzleloaders on the market.

DSS (Double Safety System) The Pursuit series of muzzleloaders incorporates 2 safeties to make them one of the safest muzzleloaders available. A cross block trigger safety is built into the trigger guard just like a standard rifle or shotgun safety. The second one is built into the hammer that blocks the firing pin from igniting the primer if the trigger has not been pulled.

I'm researching this further and I will post the results of my findings ASAP.
but so far it looks to me like this Randy wakeman guy is just blowing smoke for his own profit.

Here's a link to a review Randy Wakeman gave on one Traditions Muzzleloader the Evolutiion. I'd like to point out Traditions muzzleloaders are manufactured by Ardesa of Spain the very manufacturer he claims makes unsafe muzzleloaders. YET he makes no mention in his review of the Evolution as to being unsafe or dangerous to use.

It usually Boils down to shooter Error and not Manufacturers defects.

#14 ·
that tip of marking your ramrod is a good one i do it and dont pound the pellets just use firm pressure.me and my buddy are going to the range to play tomorrow and sight in his bp

#16 ·
maybe he got an axe to grind with them:whistling:

#17 ·
Well His website says it's the "Headquarters for Savage Muzzleloading" <<--click there to see..
So my guess is he's trying to increase his own savage sales with this tactic of attacking the competition, Otherwise there'd be Warnings galore about unsafe Muzzleloaders, Don't ya think?

#18 ·
I shoot mine again for the first time in 2 years. (trying to sight in the scope) I shoot it a good five or six times (then the scope fell off):wallbash::mad: but the point is that it didnt blow up or crack or anything bad like that. It did kick harder than I remember tho . . . . . . .

#21 ·
Well you have got a point there Hunting Man but sometimes you end up paying for the name and not necessarily a better item...
I remember years ago I bought a CVA muzzleloader kit, cost me a whole $69.00 dollars after I completed it, I shot that Muzzleloader hundreds of times without incident and as best as I can recall I had very few misfires with it. Was it safe? I'm sure it was, it proved itself with fairly accurate shots time and time again... But you're right with good safe shooting practices I dont think anyone will have problems no matter what brand they shoot, but that's "IF" they follow safe shooting practices...

#20 ·
muzzle loaders pack a punch i use loc tite on all my scope screws.once its dialed in of course.:surprised:

#22 ·
Mine Exploded

Hello, I just thought you would like to know that my New Frontier 50 cal magnum inline blew up in my face in october.If I had known then what I know now I would have destroyed it.First of all there is no such thing as a magnum muzzle loader the makers of prodex state on all packages to never for any reason load more than 2- 50. GR. pellets in your firearm.I had owned this gun for 3 years and always used the same load 2- 50gr. pellets and a 385gr. bullet.After sighting it in I decided to shoot a few more times I had fired the gun 6 times when I fired the 7th shot it blew up in my face causeing several large blast injuries (large holes) to my left arm and also causeing a traumatic cateract.I would strongly advise you not to use this gun.But if you insist then atleast go and look at this website first. WWW.CVAGUNCASES.COM. Your new gun is sold by CVA so go take a look at this site then you decide. John

#28 ·
Hello, I just thought you would like to know that my New Frontier 50 cal magnum inline blew up in my face in october.If I had known then what I know now I would have destroyed it.First of all there is no such thing as a magnum muzzle loader the makers of prodex state on all packages to never for any reason load more than 2- 50. GR. pellets in your firearm.I had owned this gun for 3 years and always used the same load 2- 50gr. pellets and a 385gr. bullet.After sighting it in I decided to shoot a few more times I had fired the gun 6 times when I fired the 7th shot it blew up in my face causeing several large blast injuries (large holes) to my left arm and also causeing a traumatic cateract.I would strongly advise you not to use this gun.But if you insist then atleast go and look at this website first. WWW.CVAGUNCASES.COM. Your new gun is sold by CVA so go take a look at this site then you decide. John
That website is owned by the ambulance chasing lawyer whos great close friends with randy wakeman. Its basically a scare tactics website to steer buyers into the savage market.

Wakeman will defend pictures of blown up savages to the point where he gets down right psycho.

#30 ·
bruce i know you will lick that up like a cupcake sitting in the sun, but randy wakeman calls your traditions brand junk as well and claims they will explode at any given time.

If you actually take the time to read all the boring lawyer stuff, you'll find that a lot of these guns on that website ARE recall guns that did in fact have problems, many guns on there as well used smokeless powder.

I can show you pictures of exploded savages, TC's but then that'd just REALLY get you guys goin, so i wont.

#32 · (Edited)
FG you just don't get it do you? Read what I posted again and if you still dont get it then you need to read it again.

I wrote:
FrontierGander, what is wrong with you? It doesn't matter WHO owns the website that shines the light on the situation.
We should ALL be thanking the CVA GUNCASES website for making us aware of the situation rather than allowing cva to just write it off an isolated incident.

CVA has a past history of marketing thousands of dangerous and unsafe muzzleloaders some of which are still floating around today somewhere.
For anyone to say it's just a scare tactic is absurd, when a CVA muzzlelolader (OR any other brand) causes bodily harm to a person,
that's not a scare tactic that's an indication to WARN others who may own the same weapons. period!

#31 ·
The important lesson is everything out there has a potential to have problems. Safety should be on everyone's top of the list. Imperfections in steel could be downright impossible to detect without x-raying it. So never overload a ml, and check with the maker prior to modifying anything relating to the firing of the firearm.

#33 ·
its scare tactics and obviously, you are a sheep foolish enough to fall for it. Read the court cases.

They have recalled guns where Sams Club was aware of the recell yet did nothing to pull the recall guns off the shelf.

Even rookies new to the sport picked up on this quicker that it was a scam to run people off of cva-traditions and right into the pocket book of savage.

Add this up, Wakeman, CVA Recall guns, savage owners son being injured by a recall cva...... wakeman- savage - endorsing savage .....

Enough said.

Go on to a forum thats up to date and with todays muzzle loading industry, ask about that website and you'll see them tell u its a bunch of BS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.